-
I Cant enable DMA acceleration for my hard drive
I have installed Knoppix on my Hard Drive, and the hard drive goes really slow:
root@Walkyria:/home/Antonio# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
Timing cached reads: 3112 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1553.91 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 4 MB in 4.41 seconds = 928.10 kB/sec
And I realize i havent DMA enabled. But when i try to enable it, something is wrong:
root@Walkyria:/home/Antonio# hdparm /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
multcount = 16 (on)
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 0 (off)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
geometry = 16383/255/63, sectors = 117210240, start = 0
root@Walkyria:/home/Antonio# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)
I installed from knoppix 4.0.2 . The Kernel has activated the options Generic PCI IDE chipset support and Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
I have tried to change /etc/hdparm.conf, and added a line like:
/dev/hdc {
write_cache = on
dma = on
}
But doesnt work.
However, during boot, appears the message: "Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc". I cant understand what happens.
Can anyone help me?
-
Senior Member
registered user
No offense implied, but are you sure hdc is a hard drive? You can get a listing of your system's ide devices by running the command: In most circustances and in most PCs, there is 1 hard drive and 1 removable media optical drive. The hard drive is the master on the primary IDE channel and is hda. The optical drive is the master on the secondary IDE channel and it is hdc. I have seen plenty of 40X or 48X CDROM drives that have poor or no support for DMA. So if your hdc is a optical drive, it may not support DMA. I have also seen a junky 40X CDROM drive as the master and a 32X CDRW drive as the slave & I was unable to turn on DMA for the CD
-
root@Walkyria:/etc# dmesg | grep -i hd
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hdc6 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=es apm=power-off nomce vga=791
hdc: IC25N060ATMR04-0, ATA DISK drive
hdd: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K15RA, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: max request size: 1024KiB
hdc: 117210240 sectors (60011 MB) w/7884KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63
hdc: cache flushes supported
hdc: hdc1 hdc2 hdc3 < hdc5 hdc6 >
hdd: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2000kB Cache
Warning: /proc/ide/hd?/settings interface is obsolete, and will be removed soon!
EXT3 FS on hdc6, internal journal
Adding 497972k swap on /dev/hdc5. Priority:-1 extents:1
EXT3 FS on hdc6, internal journal
My DVD-RW hasnt got the DMA enabled. I've got a similar response of hdparm
BTW, my computer is a laptop. I dont know whether that's important about DMA (well, under windows, the dvd and hard disk work reasonably fast).
Similar Threads
-
By bagmonkey in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-12-2008, 04:50 AM
-
By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
-
By husalah5150 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
-
By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00