You can use "./configure - make - make install" but often it's easiest to download a .deb package and install with "sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb".
I don't use kpackage but I doubt if it can handle tar.gz. Which package are you trying to install?
Can i install tar.gz and similar ones using kpackage manager??
I need to install some library files in a pc not connected to net.
I dnlded the lib files in tar .gz format but plz tell me how to install with kpackage mangr or Shall i merely follow ./configure,make, and makeinstall
You can use "./configure - make - make install" but often it's easiest to download a .deb package and install with "sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb".
I don't use kpackage but I doubt if it can handle tar.gz. Which package are you trying to install?
Is the all library files available in .deb format??Originally Posted by Markus
libgii-0.9.2.src.tarWhich package are you trying to install?
libggi-2.1.2.src.tar
And also some simple arcade games too[/quote]
How about these versions:
If the debian box hasn't internet you can search at http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages within testing and unstable branches, and check the packages dependencies so you can download those as well. For example this http://packages.debian.org/testing/libs/libgii0 page says the dependencies are:Code:apt-cache policy libgii0 libgii0: Installed: 1:0.9.1-0.1 Candidate: 1:0.9.1-0.1 Version table: *** 1:0.9.1-0.1 0 930 ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org testing/main Packages 990 ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org unstable/main Packages apt-cache policy libggi2 libggi2: Installed: 1:2.0.5-1.1 Candidate: 1:2.0.5-1.1 Version table: *** 1:2.0.5-1.1 0 930 ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org testing/main Packages 990 ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org unstable/main Packages
Code:Other Packages Related to libgii0 [dep]= depends [rec]= recommends [sug]= suggests *[dep] libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21) [not alpha, ia64, m68k] GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone data libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1) [m68k] *[dep] libc6.1 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21) [alpha, ia64] GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone data *[dep] libgii0-target-x (= 1:0.9.1-0.1) General Input Interface X input target
Do someone can tell me how to uninstall something installed in the "./configure - make - make install" way?
Apt-get and dpkg are always explained as installing and removing tools, but what about uninstall sftware installed in the above mode, that I've never found answer in various tutorials ?![]()
go to the directory that you installed from and try "make uninstall" or similar, read the documentation, it is usualy there somewhere if possible.
the uninstall it may work great but it also MAY harm your system, if you read the makefile you should also be able to see what you should delete maually...
Ok one more question
Ive asked it as a separate question but no one replied
when i run ./configure I get an error
can you tell whats the pblm??checking for KDE... configure: error:
in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will fail.
So, check this please and use another prefix!
If you install source packages with checkinstall you can uninstall more easily: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/147
The missing kde headers is probably a missing dev package, I'd say kdelibs4-dev.

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
$8.00
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01