I'm trying to recover files before having to reformat a NTFS partition. I'm using Knoppix v 3.9. It recognizes the USB pen drive but when I try to copy files to it - I get an error stating it cannot ... I'm not exactly sure but it seems like it cannot make the folder.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.
After booting knoppix with the usb drive plugged in, open a konsole/terminal and do dmesg | tail.
You should get something like:
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 512000 512-byte hdwr sectors (262 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
You're interested in the part that says sda1 in my output. Your's might be different.
Check if fstab has a line for it with grep sda /etc/fstab, and see what the mountpoint (second column) is, (probably /mnt/sda1 or some such)
Then mount with: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 -t vfat -o rw,users,umask=000
If the mountpoint isn't in fstab do before mounting sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99
Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor
$55.99
INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99