Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Post-install DVD drive problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2

    Post-install DVD drive problems

    hi all,

    after using Mandrake a bit, I decided to try installing Knoppix, which always worked beautifully from CD. the Debian world of HDD-installed Knoppix is a bit strange and bewildering but for the most part successful. one thing missing (and sorely missed) were desktop icons for my CD-RW drive and DVD drive. with a bit of tinkering I got a working icon for the CD drive but have had no success with the DVD drive, which Knoppix always recognised. after creating an icon with the mount command "/dev/cdrom1" (as recognised by Knoppix) I get "mount point /dev/cdrom1 does not exist." a quick look at /etc/fstab (see, I DO learn from the Forums!) I confirmed there is indeed only one entry for a cdrom drive. as a bit of a noob with just enough knowledge to REALLY mess things up, I've hit a dead end with ideas. can anyone point me in the right direction to get my DVD drive recognised and a working icon to open it?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Try here

    Also just search for 'fstab' and you'll find lots of info. As always, post back with any questions.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Post-install DVD drive problems

    Quote Originally Posted by stupidflanders
    hi all,

    after using Mandrake a bit, I decided to try installing Knoppix, which always worked beautifully from CD. the Debian world of HDD-installed Knoppix is a bit strange and bewildering but for the most part successful. one thing missing (and sorely missed) were desktop icons for my CD-RW drive and DVD drive. with a bit of tinkering I got a working icon for the CD drive but have had no success with the DVD drive, which Knoppix always recognised. after creating an icon with the mount command "/dev/cdrom1" (as recognised by Knoppix) I get "mount point /dev/cdrom1 does not exist." a quick look at /etc/fstab (see, I DO learn from the Forums!) I confirmed there is indeed only one entry for a cdrom drive. as a bit of a noob with just enough knowledge to REALLY mess things up, I've hit a dead end with ideas. can anyone point me in the right direction to get my DVD drive recognised and a working icon to open it?

    TIA
    Just do as root:

    rebuildfstab -r

    Then as normal user:

    mkdesktophdicons

    Then you have again your icons.

    cu

    Fabian

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Post-install DVD drive problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    Just do as root:

    rebuildfstab -r

    Then as normal user:

    mkdesktophdicons

    Then you have again your icons.

    cu

    Fabian
    Fabian,

    That sounds like an excellent way to deal with one of the issues I brought up over here. It still seems to me however that this ought to be done at install. It's one less thing for the noob to have to worry about at install.

    Thanks again.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    stupidflanders,

    If you are wanting to play actual DVD's, you might want to look over here for some further tips. Note espcially the need to enable DMA. The hdinstall script used to not enable DMA for the hard drive itself upon install, but that was changed. DMA is still not enabled for cd/dvd's however. Without this your DVD's will probably be choppy. Mine were anyways until I enabled DMA.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2
    thanks for all the tips, everyone! I plan to try again this evening after work. in regard to the last post, I'm not really interested in watching DVDs on my box, I just want to access the Linux Format magazine DVDs I get each month. again, thanks for the help - this community is certainly one of the best I've seen.

    Mark

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    If you want to automount your h-disks, you just have to change in /ets/fstab the part "noauto" after your h-disks into "auto"...
    (you can also assure there that your hda1 is named "windows":
    - first unmount, then rename in /mnt hda1 to windows
    - then rename in fstab "/mnt/hda1" into "/mnt/windows")

Similar Threads

  1. hard drive install problems
    By Phishman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 08:06 PM
  2. POST Installation problems
    By AJones in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 05:23 AM
  3. Problems install on the hard drive
    By ak47 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 08:36 AM
  4. Post install problems w/HD permissions & desktop icons
    By eco2geek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 07:23 AM
  5. post-HD install: apt-get dist-upgrade problems
    By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$249.00



Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested picture

Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested

$299.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$155.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$99.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer

$95.00



Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces picture

Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces

$40.99