Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Boot freezes at "Ok, booting the kernel"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3

    Boot freezes at "Ok, booting the kernel"

    Hi, please forgive the newbie question, but I just started using Knoppix, and it's been a while since I've used Linux.

    I am using Knoppix-STD 0.1 and when I boot from the CD, I use:

    knoppix vga=normal

    Then I see:

    Loading vmlinuz...
    Loading miniroot.gz...
    Ready.
    Uncompressing Linux...Ok, booting the kernel.


    Then, nothing. The computer just sits there. (If I don't use the "vga=normal" command, the screen blanks out after the "Loading miniroot.gz..." line.)

    Am I missing something? I'm not really sure what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Tara

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Hi.
    Knoppix-STD is not Knoppix. They are two separate projects. Like most software programs, each new release is better than the last. The current release of Knoppix-STD is just about 2 years old, while the current release of Knoppix is version 4.0.2 and is under 3 months old. Knoppix-STD website is http://www.knoppix-std.org/ and you can get suppport for it over there. I would recommend that you try Knoppix 4.0.2 as there are many new features & drivers for improved hardware support in this release.

Similar Threads

  1. How does Knoppix handle "home=" when booting "
    By GCMartin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 04:44 PM
  2. Knoppix freezes at "Boot: "
    By briceman92 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 03:39 PM
  3. Problem with "root=" kernel command-line argument
    By LukeyBoy in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 02:35 PM
  4. knoppix 3.2 " unknown bus type 2" at kernel boot,
    By deverbone in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 02:03 PM
  5. 3.2 freezes after "mounting /dev/scd0"
    By Buchwald in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core 16-Thread 3.8GHZ/4.7GHZ picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core 16-Thread 3.8GHZ/4.7GHZ

$225.00



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00