-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ncsuapex
Is it possible to boot Knoppix on a laptop ...
The simple answer is, maybe. If the laptop will boot Knoppix with a HDD and a CD-ROM and can use your wireless card, then it will probably boot without all those things. I would recommend booting Knoppix on the laptop you have in mind for this project and then start removing parts, starting with the HDD.

Originally Posted by
ncsuapex
In fact, I've booted a laptop into Knoppix that had no HDD, no battery, no floppy, no USB, and no CD-ROM using PXE and Knoppix's Terminal Server.
I would like to hear more about this, this could be useful in my project.
My "laptop" will not have HDD, no battery, no floppy. It does have USB and I had planned on using a CD-ROM, but If I could do it without a CD-ROM that might be better for me.
In my case I had two machines: one machine was the terminal service server, the other was the terminal service client. I configured the server to have all the requisite parts: dhcp service, a bootable image, and a few other things that escape me now. IIRC, the terminal service "wizard" in Knoppix walked me through this, but I may be mistaken. The client only had PXE, the Pre-eXecution Environment. IIUC, PXE sends out a request for an IP address and a kernel image. Once the client had an IP address and a kernel, it booted.
This sounds like an interesting project. I recommend that you create a wiki page (just create an account and you'll get your own page) and put your notes there. By having a wiki page others can see what you're doing and can help out.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
Similar Threads
-
By wallberg in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-28-2007, 04:26 PM
-
By cheeney in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-11-2007, 04:59 PM
-
By bandoba in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 21
Last Post: 03-07-2006, 02:36 AM
-
By rrk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-18-2005, 09:16 PM
-
By badadu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial Micron 8GB (1x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT8G4SFRA32A
$29.99

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16
$159.99

128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5)
$2085.00

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980
$39.99