Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Starting Knoppix from Windows 2000

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland.
    Posts
    55

    Starting Knoppix from Windows 2000

    Hello:

    I share a computer with my wife and she prefers Windows (2000).

    I start Knoppix using floppy disk. I don't want to install lilo, etc. I'd like to start it from Windows 2000 startup menu (F8).

    I keep Knoppix CD on the separate disk partition (/dev/hda7) in /KNOPPIX.

    Can anybody help me in this matter?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    84
    This is actualy not too hard if you don't mind working with text files and you have a basic understanding of the Linux and Dos shells. Of course MS wouldn't make this too easy to do

    See
    http://rtfm.dyndns.info/tips/2002/11/13/51.shtml

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    This can't be done retroactively due to the nature of the Win2K boot menu, so I am unsure how much help this will be, but here goes:

    Partition your drive so that drive C:\ is a FAT 32 partition,

    If you use FDISK from a Win 98 boot disk, any partition over 512 MB will be FAT 32 by default.

    After you have created your partitions and made C:\ active, format C:\ using the following command from the Win 98 boot disk A:\ prompt:

    Format C: /s /u

    You now have a bootable C:\ partion. Copy MINIROOT.GZ and VMLINUZ from a Knoppix boot disk and the loader loadlin.exe to C:\. Create an Autoexec.bat that contains the following lines:

    @echo off
    cls
    loadlin.exe vmlinuz init=/etc/init lang=us initrd=miniroot.gz quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

    The above loadlin command should be all one line. Copy it to C:\. Loadlin will search for a /Knoppix directory on all hda devices and boot Knoppix.

    Install Win 2k on the next available partition and a boot menu will be created automagically. The partition that boots Knoppix will show as DOS on the boot menu, you can change the name to Knoppix by editing the Boot.ini file.

    A caveat: I have yet to figure out how to get Persistant Home to be detected at boot as you are not presented with a knoppix prompt for cheat codes. However, you can save Knoppix Configuration to hda1 and copy the resulting .sh and .tbz files to the Knoppix directory from Win 2K or from the Knoppix item on the boot menu by pressing F5 to bypass the autoexec file and using the commands copy *.tbz C:\Koppix and copy *.sh C:\ Koppix. A little awkward and you end up with a huge .tbz file after a lot of configuring, adding a different icon theme and so on, mine is just over 35 MB.

    I would also note I have 4 FAT 32 partitions on my hard disk: C:\ to boot Knoppix, H:\ for the swap file, I:\ for the Knoppix directory and J:\ which I labeled LINUX_SHARE and is used to store anything I want to keep from a Knoppix session.

    Well, that's it, I guess.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Yikes! "using the commands copy *.tbz C:\Koppix and copy *.sh C:\ Koppix" should be "using the commands copy *.tbz C:\Knoppix and copy *.sh C:\ Knoppix" Sorry about that, only halfway through my morning coffee so I'm still a little groggy.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland.
    Posts
    55
    Hi:

    I think that I am just starting to understand your letter. I cannot check it on my home computer, I will have to wait until Monday.

    Generally it turned out to be much more difficult than I expected.

    ... (some time later) ...

    It semms that I have just found a little bit simpler solution:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=kb;pl;153762

    It's a Polish translation of the English original.

    If I understand this text correctly I can install MS-DOS on Windows 2000 and then use loadlin to load linux.

    Or on the other hand I can probably setup a DOS partition and use loadlin to start Knoppix from it. I don't want DOS in my Windows 2000.

    Life is not so simple, even with Knoppix .

    w.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I've tried the following with WIN95, WIN98 and WINME. I'm not familiar with WIN2000. Would something like: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2192
    work for you?

    Regards,

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland.
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I've tried the following with WIN95, WIN98 and WINME. I'm not familiar with WIN2000. Would something like: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2192
    work for you?

    Regards,
    Hi: All I want is to get rid of the startup disk. I don't use a CD-ROM.

    Now I think that I don't need even loadlin and dos. I guess that I need to setup a loader of a KNOPPIX partition and bootsector of that partition should be called by Win2k bootloader. Am I right?

    So eventaully I will select OS from Win2k and KNOPPIX will be started from Lilo.

    So now my problem is how to install lilo in bootsector of my hda7 partition.

    w.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland.
    Posts
    55

    It's working !

    It took me two nights, loss of all my data (10GB of programs and documments) but it is working.

    THE system can be selected from Windows2000 startup menu and it is working fine.

    I did it as you suggested: I have a DOS on hda1, Windows on hda2 and I use loadlin to load Knoppix from DOS.

    I was not able to install lilo to start Knoppix from hda7 partition. There are many things that I have to learn.

    w.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: It's working !

    >There are many things that I have to learn.

    --Not to be rude, but it looks like "BACKUPS" is one of them...

    Quote Originally Posted by pnti
    It took me two nights, loss of all my data (10GB of programs and documments) but it is working.

    THE system can be selected from Windows2000 startup menu and it is working fine.

    I did it as you suggested: I have a DOS on hda1, Windows on hda2 and I use loadlin to load Knoppix from DOS.

    I was not able to install lilo to start Knoppix from hda7 partition. There are many things that I have to learn.

    w.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP
    By jdong in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:17 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 03:52 AM
  3. Networking on Windows 2000 - help!
    By JLocke in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
  4. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  5. windows 2000 Pro & qtpated
    By mailman42 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 04:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



HP ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus V2 2U Server 2x 2.5

HP ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus V2 2U Server 2x 2.5" 2x EPYC 7601 2.2GHz 2x M.2 1TB

$3500.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$68.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99