Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Starting Knoppix from Windows 2000

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland.
    Posts
    55

    Re: It's working !

    [quote="Dave_Bechtel"]>There are many things that I have to learn.

    --Not to be rude, but it looks like "BACKUPS" is one of them...

    And patience

    I simply tried to install old MS-DOS using original MS disks. I didn't expect that 3 small floppies would (?) remove everyting data, partitions, etc.

    I have almost forgotten what is MS-DOS.

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84

    Re: It's working !

    Quote Originally Posted by pnti
    It took me two nights, loss of all my data (10GB of programs and documments) but it is working.

    THE system can be selected from Windows2000 startup menu and it is working fine.

    I did it as you suggested: I have a DOS on hda1, Windows on hda2 and I use loadlin to load Knoppix from DOS.

    I was not able to install lilo to start Knoppix from hda7 partition. There are many things that I have to learn.

    w.
    Geeze, I never intended for you to lose all of your data. I do hope you didn't lose anything too terribly important.

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland.
    Posts
    55

    Re: It's working !

    Geeze, I never intended for you to lose all of your data. I do hope you didn't lose anything too terribly important.
    Hi !

    Thanks for your letter. I lost my data because i DIDN'T FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE. I wanted to it faster and better - without any experiencie. No problem it seems that there was nothing really important on the disk.

    w.

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16

    Make Backups!!!!

    I'm very sorry you lost your data...

    Please always create backups when you're playing around with Linux!!!
    Follow my advise and you're never lose your data.

    Have a nice day,


    StyleWarz

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman


    You now have a bootable C:\ partion. Copy MINIROOT.GZ and VMLINUZ from a Knoppix boot disk and the loader loadlin.exe to C:\. Create an Autoexec.bat that contains the following lines:

    @echo off
    cls
    loadlin.exe vmlinuz init=/etc/init lang=us initrd=miniroot.gz quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix



    A caveat: I have yet to figure out how to get Persistant Home to be detected at boot as you are not presented with a knoppix prompt for cheat codes.

    ...but you already know how...put cheatcodes in loadlin (lang=us is a cheat code...)

    loadlin.exe vmlinuz init=/etc/init lang=us floppyconfig keyboard=de .... etc etc etc

    cheers

  6. #16
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    ...but you already know how...put cheatcodes in loadlin (lang=us is a cheat code...)

    loadlin.exe vmlinuz init=/etc/init lang=us floppyconfig keyboard=de .... etc etc etc

    cheers
    I also discovered from another thread ( http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2273 ) that I can also use a parameter file, loadlin.par, to load the cheat codes as well. Lots of options. Thanks for the tip.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Forgive me if I missed something, but I think there is a safe and simple way to boot from floppy.
    Don't you just use sbminst (dowload the two files, copy them to a floppy, and run the .exe, it creates a boot floppy that will scan your partitions for potentially bootable entities, and let you choose.
    Then install linux, but not lilo or grub.
    Shazam.
    The machine boots to win, unless the floppy is in the drive, in which case it boots to wherever you like.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    washington dc
    Posts
    4

    runing windows and knoppix

    i am using knoppix cd the machine has also a hd with windows. can I run my windows sytem and knoppix at the same time. any suggestion is welcome. i have a license to vmware but can vine work to do that ?
    thanks
    Kemal

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    What do you mean by 'at the same time'? I presume you mean at different times, but having both os's resident on the machine?
    If so, the answer is yes, but how will depend on what version of windows you have, what format your drive partitions are, and what vmware and vine are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP
    By jdong in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:17 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 03:52 AM
  3. Networking on Windows 2000 - help!
    By JLocke in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
  4. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  5. windows 2000 Pro & qtpated
    By mailman42 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 04:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop picture

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop

$32.99