-
Persistent-Home problems (long + details)
I am having a problem with saving to a hard drive.
Gritty Details: 13 years as a developer on too many different systems.
Prof. experience: 4 years on HPUnix, 6 years on C/C++, all of it stale
(3 yrs old)
Education: used "search" in Knoppix Forum to find every instance of
"persistent". Didn't understand the responses on half of
them, but read them anyway.
Machine: a boat-anchor I picked up for next-to-nothing
CPU: 800 MHz AMD Athlon
Mem: 320 Mbytes SDRAM, PC-100
Floppy: Generic
CD-ROM: Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6102B
Hitachi CDR-8430 -- has caused a lot of trouble. Spools
down after access, then programs fail because device is
not available, both from MS Windows and from Knoppix.
Video: 3dfx VooDoo3
NIC: 3Com Etherlink 10/100 PIC NIC 3c905-TX
SCSI: Win9X-ME Promise Ultra100 IDE Controller PDC20265
HD: 19.623 Gbytes IBM-DTLA-305020 Ultra DMA2
Partitions: (from QT-Parted)
1: Primary, type=vfat, size=4.87 Gbytes, boot for MS Windows 98
2: Primary, type=Linux-swap, size=760 Mbytes
3: Free space size=13.54 Gbytes
OS: Knoppix 4.02, dated 2005-09-23
FWIW: kernel: Linux 2.6.12
KDE: version 3.4.1
_______________________________
Goals:
1. Use HD files from Knoppix, well enough that I can show my poor
old gray-haired mother how to do it. So far, this is not looking good.
2. Do some high-precision cryptography computations with the GNU
GMP package. Also not very successful.
Initially, I downloaded Knoppix from this site. Burned to CD off my wife's
Windows XP-Pro machine. Have used the same CD throughout.
Boot-up from CD on ye olde boat-anchor: awesome. Love the Autobahn
graphics. I have been using Mandrake, and the boot was just lovely.
Saving anything, anytime, anywhere, was impossible. I had to read two
or three dozen posts before I found out that the HD has to be set to
r/w from read-only in TWO different places before you can use it
(Yes, I was shouting), and has to be done every time you log on.
Never did figure out how to save into anything except a vfat partition.
Fired up QT-Parted
Step 1: repartitioned the HD. Reduced Partition 1 to 4.87 Mbytes.
Step 2: created Linx-Swap partition, 760 Mbytes.
Step 3a: QT-Parted to create a jfs partition from the rest of it, 1,360
Mbytes. QT-Parted would not format it, immediately quit.
Step 3b: QT-Parted to erase the jfs partition and format as vfat, 1,360
Mbytes. Downloaded GPM onto a CD from the other machine.
Copied from CD into second vfat partion. Tried to "configure".
Failed.
GPM "configure" uses "hard links" during its set-up process.
Vfat file-system is incompatible with Unix-style hard links.
Step 3c: QT-Parted to erase the second vfat partion, left the remainder
of the HD "free". Tried to use Knoppix to create a persistent
"/home". Attempted
KNOPPIX->configure->Create persistent KNOPPIX disk image
"Knoppix-configure" cannot find the free portion of the HD.
Step 3d: used QT-Parted to create an ext3 partition, 1,360 Mbytes.
Knoppix->configure->Create persistent KNOPPIX disk image
"Knoppix-configure" will not go past the screen saying that I
need to have a partition with at least 2 Gbytes of free space,
and 128 Meg ram.
Step 3e: used QT-Parted to format the ext3 partition. Went to the HD
icon on the desktop. Mounted ext3 partition. Changed from
read-only to read/write. Toggled off the device read-only.
Tried to copy from CD, and from the vfat partition, into the
ext3 partition. "Copy" failed, with an error message that I
do not have authorization to change anything on the ext3
partition, not even from "root".
Step 3f: used QT-Parted to erase the ext3 partition, then created an
ext3 partition labeled "/", size=1000 Mbytes, and another ext3
partition labeled "/home", size=about 12 Gbytes, the rest
of it. "Knoppix-configure" will not go past the screen saying
that I need to have a partition with at least 2 Gbytes of free
space, and 128 Meg ram.
Step 3g: used QT-Parted to format the ext3 partitions.
"Knoppix-configure" will not go past the screen saying that I
need to have a partition with at least 2 Gbytes of free space,
and 128 Meg ram.
Went to the HD icon on the desktop. Mounted ext3 partition.
Changed from read-only to read/write. Toggled off the device
read-only. Tried to copy from CD, and from the vfat partition,
into the ext3 partition. "Copy" failed, with an error message
that I do not have authorization to change anything on the ext3
partition, not even from "root".
Step 3h: KNOPPIX->root shell
>knoppix-installer
...
...
will not go past screen saying I need 2 Gbytes in partition and
128 Meg ram.
Any ideas on what it is that I might be missing?
Please, in any responses, you will need to give me detailed instructions
if I have to enter anything from the "Konsole". My fingers have better
memory than anything. All my Unix manuals are packed away, and I
do not recall most of the commands.
Similar Threads
-
By alpha_geek in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
-
By staran in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM
-
By beausimon in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-23-2006, 03:40 PM
-
By frugalyankee in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-09-2005, 03:48 AM
-
By merc in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-23-2003, 11:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$119.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00