Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Hd install -- portable hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3

    Hd install -- portable hard drive

    Hi,

    I know there are a lot of posts on the net and on this forumn for knoppix installation, but I can't follow a lot of them.

    Here is what I want to do:

    *I have a 10 gig portable hard drive, (I know how to boot from a portable hard drive)
    and I want to be able to run knoppix 4.0 from that hard drive

    *I read a little about having the bootable partition be like the cd, and be read only, (so it would free up
    a cd drive)

    Here is what I have:

    *I have a 10 gig portable hard drive *mentioned above

    *I have already partitioned it from a windows XP home machine
    The swap partition is 384 megs, the partition for the OS itself is 3.5 gigs (The rest I plan to use for
    another linux OS)

    Here is what I tried:

    1. Boot up with Knoppix LiveCD

    2. At a terminal screen type: su -
    */hit enter, dah!/*

    3. Type: sudo mount -o dev,rw /mnt/sda2
    */mnt stands for mount, sda2 is the hard drive partition I installed too, I can almost
    guarantee that it will be different for you/*

    4. Type: passwd

    5. Type your new password for linux

    6. Click on the "K" button
    */To start the knoppix version of the windows start menu/*

    7. Choose system

    8. Choose "More applications"

    9. "File Manager Super User Mode"

    10. Use your new password on the promt

    11. Open the file, menu.lst (/boot/grub/meny.lst)

    12. Edit the line that reads: "kernel /boot/vmlinuz root= /dev/hda2 ro ### isk_size=100000
    init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce"
    */Change the ### to form the work ramdisk (Your hda2 may be different)

    13. Save the File

    14. Reboot

    *I get to step 11 and then I cannot find the file, plus I'm not even sure the swap partition was mounted.

    If anyone could please help me, it would be greatly appreciated, O, and I don't mind deleting the
    partitions, if I could just get the portable hard drive to boot just like the cd, it would be greatly
    appreciated, thanks.

    Feel free to post comments back on this forumn or email them directly back to me at my email address.
    -- [email protected]

    Thanks Again -- Marshall

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    30

    Install it first...

    I read as well as I could your instructions, and I don't see where you installed it on the HD.

    Boot up Knoppix as a live CD. After it is runing, at a terminal prompt, type:

    knoppix-installer <enter>

    Then follow instructions. IF it can't see your portable HD, at that time, cancel, and mount the portable.

    I may be wrong on this, but no where in your list do you use the knoppix-installer.

    I don't now off hand where to put the boot loader for use when you re-boot. Normally, google for help before asking anyone on any forum, but especially on this one.

    Next tip. Since the folks here have decided for Klaus, who supports installing Knoppix on HD, and is working on a new installer, that Knoppix should not be installed, forget about Knoppix, you can't get help here when you need it. Download Kanotix, it is very similar, the installer alleges to be better, and Kano himself answers tough questions on his forum.

    Tip on USB devices. Pupply linux has developed a floppy usb booter, much like the old floppy boot for Win 98, and may well work on computers which don't normally boot USB devices. Google for puppy URL.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3

    thnx

    I will try that.

    I've heard about kanotix, is it the same [basically] as knoppix? I love the feel of knoppix, which is why I don't really want to switch.

    Anyway, thnx.

    I thought however, it would be possible to boot from one of the partitions just like it was booting from one of the cds, letting it be read-only. As is says here, http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Based...b-stick.2C_ROM...

    " 4. Boot from smartdisk, usb-stick, ROM...

    Please write about your experiences to boot from your MP3-Player, or what ever...

    See [Boot KNOPPIX from an USB Memory Stick (http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/)] by Matthias Müller
    For booting the USB stick it uses [spblinux (http://www.8ung.at/spblinux/)] "

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3

    I got it!

    I know its not well advised that someone should install knoppix on a hard drive, yet anyway, but I successfully did it. Although it took about an hour, I still did it.

Similar Threads

  1. USB Portable Hard Drives used with Knoppix Live CD
    By ICPUG in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 06:40 PM
  2. Hard Drive install
    By kamal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 07:39 AM
  3. Getting More Help With a Hard Drive Install
    By brianfay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 12:42 PM
  4. Problems install on the hard drive
    By ak47 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 08:36 AM
  5. Hard drive Install
    By Gregwithoneg in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95