Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: first time user needs a lot of help...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3

    first time user needs a lot of help...

    I have an old laptop, compaq m700 that has windows98 on it, I don't remember the password, I don't want to. I want to use this laptop to run Linux, and I was kind of hoping to run Knoppix instead of Free BSD. So I bittorrent Knoppix to a dvd, and I put it in the DVD drive and I cant get it to boot, it keeps wanting to run Windows. Obviously I don't have any idea wat I'm doing and I would like any help I can get.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    First time user needs to pick better subject lines; imagine what these forums would be like if everyone use "help me" style subject lines. Please edit your first post and change the subject line.
    http://www.wwaytv3.com/Global/story....p;nav=menu70_2
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you likely burnt the wrong way.
    read the FAQ for more info on how to burn it.
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    You may not have the DVD(cd) as a boot device listed befor the hdd in the bios setup. If you do not know how to enter bios check compaq web site.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3

    thought the forum was the place to go for help

    and it has been so far, this is going to be long process from reading the FAQ, other posts, etc. But that's why I'm doing it. I'm bitorrenting it again on my dell, and going to burn the ISO image using Nero 6, just the free version. I have enabled it to boot from the bay drive first, HDD second. Then I'll put it in the DVD drive and see how this goes. Alost done with the bittorrent.



    Thanks

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3

    Thanks, got it working!

    So I burn the CD using Nero 7 demo on my PC, and it worked! Last time I used my mac, didn't work. I'm making a DVD image because it has more software I read. I also had to go and buy some RAM, only 64MB needs at least 82 for KDE is what the message told me. So far, it's pretty cool, I will see where this takes me.

Similar Threads

  1. choosing the right linux dist (linux first time user)
    By blokk.m in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 03:17 AM
  2. First time user
    By bensaida in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2006, 11:02 PM
  3. First Time User needs help with finding hard drive
    By jameshontishar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2005, 01:32 PM
  4. knoppix 1st time user..
    By seta21 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 06:32 AM
  5. First time user with problems
    By Marky in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 09:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99