Can anybody confirm that this is doing the same thing on their system? I'm wondering if this has anything to do with hyperthreading (it has that feel of being a race condition).
Here's how you can see the bug.
1. Boot a clean copy of Knoppix 4.0.2 CD English
2. Type "apt-get remove mozilla-thunderbird-locale-de"
UnionFS is now in an inconsistent state. To see the problem, type this:
% ls -al /ramdisk/var/lib/mozilla-thunderbird/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 220 Dec 15 19:28 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 140 Dec 15 19:28 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Dec 15 19:28 .wh.components.ini
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Dec 15 19:28 .wh.defaults.ini
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 140 Dec 15 19:28 chrome
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 140 Dec 15 19:28 components
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24 Dec 15 19:28 components.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48 Dec 15 19:28 defaults.ini
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 100 Dec 15 19:28 extensions
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Dec 15 19:28 extensions.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Dec 15 19:28 locales.d
As you can see, the directory listing contains both "components.ini" and its whiteout, ".wh.components.ini". After some testing, I have discovered that when both the file and the whiteout are present, the results are unpredictable - sometimes the file is there, sometimes it's not.
The reason I noticed this is that I was trying to remaster knoppix, but the remastering howto suggests this step:
cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX
But I thought, instead of copying the CD to a read-write partition, why not just use unionfs to merge /KNOPPIX with an empty read-write directory? But of course, it didn't work right, and this UnionFS bug is the reason.
- Josh
Can anybody confirm that this is doing the same thing on their system? I'm wondering if this has anything to do with hyperthreading (it has that feel of being a race condition).
IIWY, I'd send an email to Klaus Knopper and inform him of the problem.
Originally Posted by Josh Yelon

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99
Dell - LSI 9440-8i MegaRAID 8 Port 12GB/s HBA High Profile RAID Card W/Cables
$20.00
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43
Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99