Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Which WLAN chipsets are supported?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    22

    Which WLAN chipsets are supported?

    Which WLAN chipsets have drivers in Knoppix 4.0.2?

    I have a WLAN router I got for free from my ISP, but I have to buy a card myself.

    I would like to get a CF card which I can also use via PCMCIA adapter on my laptop. Are there problems with PCMCIA and WLAN?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I thinik your chances are better with PCMCIA than USB, but still not great. It hasn't been easy to get people to contribute their experiences to the wireless networking section of the wiki, you can see for yourself what little information we have there. If you mine this forum for additional information and find some, please consider adding it to the wiki.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    22
    From what I could gather sofar, Linux friendly wifi chip vendors are: Atheros, Intel and Ralink. They are supporting Open Source drivers.

    http://users.linpro.no/janl/hardware/wifi.html

    The CF card I know will work with my Linux PDA (Sharp Zaurus) uses the Prism 2 drivers, but it's quite old hardware.

    I'd still prefer to go with a more current card which Knoppix supports.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
  2. OpenBSD: Intel Refuses To Open Wireless Chipsets
    By mzilikazi in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 06:41 AM
  3. Linux Problems with NForce chipsets??
    By asmodath1701 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 12:23 AM
  4. USB issue for VIA chipsets !!!!!!
    By ktheking in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 08:50 AM
  5. What motherboards/chipsets would work with knoppix?
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 02:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.77