-
Knoppix and creating partitions not recogniozed by XP CD
I used Knoppix (Live CD V4.0.2) utility "cfdisk" to create 3 primary partitions on a 40 GB HD, there primary partitions are:
1- 15 GB NTFS
2- 5 GB FAT32
3- 20 GB NTFS
I did write (Knoppix option), and I restarted the PC.
When I booted the PC with XP CD (to install OS XP )..
XP did not recongnize the format of all there partitions,,,,Why?
I do not if it is related to knoppix, or XP CD ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
XP did not recongnize the
format of all there partitions,,,,Why?
Did you format the partitions? cfdisk is only a partitioner, not a formater.
-
Did you format the partitions? cfdisk is only a partitioner, not a formater.
yes this was my mistake,,,,How I can format them ? Do I need to use XP CD or I can do it with Knoppix CD ?
What will the case be if I create partitions "Type"
a- Solaris (BF)
b- Linux swap (83)
c- Linux ext3 (82)
----
---
---
---
do I need to format them in order to be recognized by Solaris OS or Linux OS ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes you need to format them. Look into using qtparted, a graphical partitioner/formater. Run the command: sudo qtparted
If you can't use qtparted, then learn the commands: mkswap, mke2fs, mkfs.vfat
-
Now I have got another question, I have got FC4 installed on a PC, and If I created Solaris partition (0xBF) by using cfdisk on the remaining free space of the HD.,,,and I have not formatted the partition,,,,Does GRUB bootloader recognize this partition as Solaris partition ? Or I have to format it to be recognised by GRUB ?
-
-
Did you format the partitions? cfdisk is only a partitioner, not a formater.
If cfdisk is only partitioner , why do I need to assign tag (flag) to partition (i.e. 0xBF for Solaris, 0x07 for NTFS----etc)
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
zillah
Did you format the partitions? cfdisk is only a partitioner, not a formater.
If cfdisk is only partitioner , why do I need to assign tag (flag) to partition (i.e. 0xBF for Solaris, 0x07 for NTFS----etc)
Because partitioning & formating are two separate processes involving at a minimum of two separate programs: the partitioner & the formater.
Imagine a mini-van or a SUV without any bucket, captain, or bench seats installed. That is similar to an unpartitioned hard drive.
Then add a captain's driver seat and label it for Bill The Driver. This is similar to making a single partition on the hard drive.
Then add a 2nd row bench seat for and label it for Linus. This is yet another partition.
Then make Bill sit in his seat. This is similar to formatting.
-
Do you mean the analogy of adding captain's driver seat and label it for Bill The Driver and 2nd row bench seat are similar to adding different tags (flags,,,,eg:07 and BF) to HD ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes of course I meant analogy.
I can delete all the partitions on my disk. Then I can make a partition & then tag/label it as NTFS. But is does not mean that it automatically created the NTFS filesystem for me. I must use either a linux ntfs tools or windows to make the ntfs filesystem.
Or say I want to use linux filesystems. I can make a partition & set it to Linux, but it did not make a usuable filesystem on it. I must choose to use ext2fs or ext3fs or reiserfs or JFS or XFS.
Analogy: I can label seats for Bill or Linus or anyone else (tagging the partition). It doesn't work until I get Bill or Linus to sit in their chair (formatting the partition with a particular filesystem).
Similar Threads
-
By bharat in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-20-2006, 08:15 PM
-
By pezz453 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-11-2005, 10:07 PM
-
By rcs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 03:21 AM
-
By Sceptre in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-11-2004, 04:49 AM
-
By xolstis in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-29-2003, 06:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1671.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$462.74

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos
$117.45