-
Newbie needs to disable graphical login manager
Hi friends:
I'm using KnoppMyth R5A22, which includes Knoppix. I don't know which version.
(Is there a quick way to find out?)
I would like to be able to disable that graphical login manager, the one with the
username and password fields, and the options for shutdown, restart etc.
But I need gdm to still be able to run, as MythTV uses it. I've posted on the KnoppMyth
forum, but no one seems to have answers to my question.
I'm a bit new to Linux, so I don't understand in which module the graphical
login lies. Basically, I just want to be able to boot to X, but without the graphical
login, or if I have to, I'll boot to a prompt-just without that graphical login thingy.
Thanks for any input.
Shplad
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Newbie needs to disable graphical login manager
Simplest way might be to boot into runlevel 2 or 3 [ boot: knoppix 2 ], login, then ' startx ' from there.

Originally Posted by
shplad
Hi friends:
I'm using KnoppMyth R5A22, which includes Knoppix. I don't know which version.
(Is there a quick way to find out?)
I would like to be able to disable that graphical login manager, the one with the
username and password fields, and the options for shutdown, restart etc.
But I need gdm to still be able to run, as MythTV uses it. I've posted on the KnoppMyth
forum, but no one seems to have answers to my question.
I'm a bit new to Linux, so I don't understand in which module the graphical
login lies. Basically, I just want to be able to boot to X, but without the graphical
login, or if I have to, I'll boot to a prompt-just without that graphical login thingy.
Thanks for any input.
Shplad
-
Senior Member
registered user
Having this kind of issue I assume you have an hdinstall, so this would be a topic for "Debian apt install etc.." while this is a place for 'live-mode' questions.
Anyway I think you need to edit the '/etc/inittab' file and replace the 'default runlevel' from 5(graphic) to 3(command line).
-
Ooh, sorry about that-I didn't know. Anyways, I did try your suggestion, but the graphical login manager
still runs. Should I try runlevel 1? Will that make any diff?
shplad

Originally Posted by
maxIT
Having this kind of issue I assume you have an hdinstall, so this would be a topic for "Debian apt install etc.." while this is a place for 'live-mode' questions.
Anyway I think you need to edit the '/etc/inittab' file and replace the 'default runlevel' from 5(graphic) to 3(command line).
-
Senior Member
registered user
What I've explained work properly for me.
Be sure to identify the match 'id:5:initdefault:' and replace the 5 inside it with 3, and also you must to make it as 'root' to have real writing permissions.
-
Yes, I did that. It didn't change anything.
Any other suggestions?
shplad

Originally Posted by
maxIT
What I've explained work properly for me.
Be sure to identify the match 'id:5:initdefault:' and replace the 5 inside it with 3, and also you must to make it as 'root' to have real writing permissions.
Similar Threads
-
By LT72884 in forum General Support
Replies: 24
Last Post: 11-07-2006, 10:16 PM
-
By bgsneeze in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 03:27 PM
-
By koma in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 08:04 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-24-2003, 09:39 PM
-
By jmrizz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-31-2003, 05:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Commodore 64 & VIC-20 BASIC & Kernel ROM Replacement Adapter - USA seller
$17.99

Commodore 128 Vintage Computer Not Working No Power Damage READ
$129.00

Commodore 16 C16 Computer Matching Serial Box Tutor Cartridge Tested Workong
$174.99

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW
$11.99

Commodore VIC-20 Dead Test Rom - USA seller
$19.99

Commodore Plus/4 computer for parts or restore
$50.00

Commodore Plus/4 owner's manuals
$20.00

Vintage Commodore 128 Computer Powers On Not Tested with Power Supply
$169.99

Commodore C128 Comp w/ Original Box TESTED & WORKING + Original & PETG Key Plung
$297.98

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99