-
Wireless card not recognized
I am a noob trying to use Knoppix 3.8 on a machine with no installed OS. I put in a Linksys WMP54GS and the green light on the card indicates that it is properly seated (I think).
At root, wlcardconfig tells me "No wireless network card found". How do I get the card to be recognized? I have tried to search threads here but I'm not sure that I know what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-
Try this:
KNOPPIX (not START, but the Penguin) >> NETWORK / INTERNET >> KWIFIMANAGER
Then:
KNOPPIX >> NETWORK / INTERNET >> NETWORK CARD CONFIGURATION
If KWiFiManager doesnt recognize your card, you might need to use NDISWRAPPER to install the Windows driver that came with your WiFi card. Then...
KNOPPIX >> NETWORK / INTERNET >> NDISWRAPPER CONFIGURATON
After that, try the first and second steps again.
-
If running that penguin network configuration utility didn't work for you (as it didn't work for me), then here's something else you could try (assuming you're using Knoppix 4.0 as I am).
First, you need to find out which driver your wireless network card is using. On my wife's HP Pavillion ze4800 laptop, XP lists the wireless network card as a HP WLAN 54g W450. Because I wasn't familiar with that card, I did some more research. I checked out <http://www.linuxlaptops.com>, clicked on Laptops&Notebooks (which lead me to <http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html>). Next, clicked on HP, followed several links until I found an example with a model similar to my wife's laptop. From that example, I learned that one could use ndiswrapper to even load the XP driver (bcmwl5.sys).
Athough I didn't come across a "cookbook recipe" for how to set up my wireless card, I at least learned that someone got it to work--and that was enough information to inspire me to hack together a recipe for myself. This is what I use:
mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
(_x=`find /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS ! -type d -iname 'bcmwl5.sys'` && cp -v $_x `echo $_x | sed 's#[^/]*$##'`../BC* ./)
cp -v `find /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS ! -type d -iname '*.inf' -exec grep -il 'bcmwl5.sys' {} \;` ./
ndiswrapper -i oem1.inf
ndiswrapper -l
modprobe -a ndiswrapper
iwconfig
pump -i wlan0
This copies BCMWL5.SYS, BCMWLD2K.EXE, BCMWLU00.EXE, and oem1.inf into ~root/. I learned through trial-and-error that all of these files had to be in the same directory (unfortunately, ndiswrapper won't work with sym-links to those files). If, after having invoked iwconfig, you notice that the essid of your wireless network card is still unset, then you'll also need to run the following:
iwlist wlan0 scan
iwconfig wlan0 essid 'YOUR_ESSID'
Where wlan0 is the name of your wireless network interface, and 'YOUR_ESSID' is your essid.
I hope this helps.
Similar Threads
-
By jh2858 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
-
By ralien in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-10-2007, 12:52 AM
-
By gradnite in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-15-2004, 01:10 AM
-
By phantomshado in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-22-2004, 10:33 PM
-
By rosea in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Vintage Apple Mac PC Max604cpu PowerPC Processor CPU Daughterboard
$54.95

Vintage Apple Mac Adjustable Keyboard M1242 With Numeric Keypad Not Tested
$139.99

Sonnet Tempo Trio PCI Controller Card Vintage Apple Mac ATA/IDE + FireWire + USB
$150.00

Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals
$50.00

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **
$99.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99

Original 1998 Apple PowerBook G3 Fold-Out Promo Brochure Poster Vintage Mac
$31.00