Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Wireless card not recognized

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1

    Wireless card not recognized

    I am a noob trying to use Knoppix 3.8 on a machine with no installed OS. I put in a Linksys WMP54GS and the green light on the card indicates that it is properly seated (I think).

    At root, wlcardconfig tells me "No wireless network card found". How do I get the card to be recognized? I have tried to search threads here but I'm not sure that I know what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    57
    Try this:

    KNOPPIX (not START, but the Penguin) >> NETWORK / INTERNET >> KWIFIMANAGER

    Then:

    KNOPPIX >> NETWORK / INTERNET >> NETWORK CARD CONFIGURATION

    If KWiFiManager doesnt recognize your card, you might need to use NDISWRAPPER to install the Windows driver that came with your WiFi card. Then...

    KNOPPIX >> NETWORK / INTERNET >> NDISWRAPPER CONFIGURATON

    After that, try the first and second steps again.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8
    If running that penguin network configuration utility didn't work for you (as it didn't work for me), then here's something else you could try (assuming you're using Knoppix 4.0 as I am).

    First, you need to find out which driver your wireless network card is using. On my wife's HP Pavillion ze4800 laptop, XP lists the wireless network card as a HP WLAN 54g W450. Because I wasn't familiar with that card, I did some more research. I checked out <http://www.linuxlaptops.com>, clicked on Laptops&Notebooks (which lead me to <http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html>). Next, clicked on HP, followed several links until I found an example with a model similar to my wife's laptop. From that example, I learned that one could use ndiswrapper to even load the XP driver (bcmwl5.sys).

    Athough I didn't come across a "cookbook recipe" for how to set up my wireless card, I at least learned that someone got it to work--and that was enough information to inspire me to hack together a recipe for myself. This is what I use:
    mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    (_x=`find /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS ! -type d -iname 'bcmwl5.sys'` && cp -v $_x `echo $_x | sed 's#[^/]*$##'`../BC* ./)
    cp -v `find /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS ! -type d -iname '*.inf' -exec grep -il 'bcmwl5.sys' {} \;` ./
    ndiswrapper -i oem1.inf
    ndiswrapper -l
    modprobe -a ndiswrapper
    iwconfig
    pump -i wlan0
    This copies BCMWL5.SYS, BCMWLD2K.EXE, BCMWLU00.EXE, and oem1.inf into ~root/. I learned through trial-and-error that all of these files had to be in the same directory (unfortunately, ndiswrapper won't work with sym-links to those files). If, after having invoked iwconfig, you notice that the essid of your wireless network card is still unset, then you'll also need to run the following:
    iwlist wlan0 scan
    iwconfig wlan0 essid 'YOUR_ESSID'
    Where wlan0 is the name of your wireless network interface, and 'YOUR_ESSID' is your essid.

    I hope this helps.

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless card recognized, but no connection
    By jh2858 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
  2. Wireless card not recognized.
    By ralien in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 12:52 AM
  3. My wireless card is not recognized
    By gradnite in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 01:10 AM
  4. wireless card not recognized..still.
    By phantomshado in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 10:33 PM
  5. Netgear wireless pc card not recognized
    By rosea in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$329.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95