you are better of with a new install .. the new kernel is not the only update .. you will end up getting everything afresh .. so it's probably not worth living with potential problem..
Hi;
After a zillion years, I finally got the price I want on DSL, and I
will be ending the era of dialup at home.
One thing I look forward too is being able to update my system without
reinstalling and losing all of my tweaks ( I used a debian derivative
).
However, my system is OLD. It is a knoppix installation about a year
old and that version had some bugs.
Am I better off using apt-get to update my system or should I do a
clean installation?
you are better of with a new install .. the new kernel is not the only update .. you will end up getting everything afresh .. so it's probably not worth living with potential problem..
Will apt-get also get, compile and set up the new kernel?Originally Posted by winsnomore
You might be better off with a clean install. Might. It depends on how much you have customized your current install.
You could first try updating all KDE with your Synaptics package manager.
You could easily upgrade anything there to "Sarge" level that way.
See how you like your set up after that.
sakiZ

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
HP EliteBook 840 G8 Laptop 14” FHD Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$299.99
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99
Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)
$189.99
Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor
$27.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95
Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98
Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT
$120.85