Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How do I install gFTP?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4

    How do I install gFTP?

    Hello,

    I'm totally new to Linux. I would like to use Knoppix as a recovery tool (e.g. if somebody's Windows crashes and I need to get data off of the hard drive, I'll boot using Knoppix and transfer the data to another computer). Knoppix works great, but I would like to install a graphical FTP client like gFTP (temporarily in the RAM drive) because the users who will be using Knoppix to transfer their files may not be comfortable with a command line ftp client. I've tried using the gFTP RPM, but it doesn't work, saying it's missing dependencies. What is the easiest way to install gFTP temporarily on Knoppix? Thanks!

    Eric

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Use Konqueror, in the location bar ftp://[email protected].

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Use Konqueror, in the location bar ftp://[email protected].
    This is a good suggestion Stephen, but I find that Konqueror kind of stinks as an ftp client. I've used it on several ocasions where it has choked up on me (on a fairly powerful machine I might add). We really need something better. KnoppixKDE had a nice KDE based ftp client - Bear FTP or something like that.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the suggestions. Even though Konqueror may work, it is not an ideal solution. The user may need to transfer many GB of data over the LAN in many different directories. I would much rather have a graphical FTP client for them than using a browser.

    I also tried downloading the source of KBear into /ramdisk/var/tmp/, uncompressing, then following the directions to install. However, the ./configure file produces an error saying that "Qt >= version 3.0 (headers and libraries) not found." So I couldn't get it to install.

    Any suggestions? Any easy (or semi-easy) way to install a graphical FTP client? Thanks!

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    For what it is worth, I am using WS_FTP_LE. Wine seems to run it just fine.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    If you download KnoppixKDE, then you can use Kbear.

    Look here for the link:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=722#2792

    You might also consider using k3b to back up data with a cd burner. This is what I do most of the time.

    ----------------------
    Edit
    ----------------------

    You might also consider downloading one of the Morphix releases which I believe has gftp on it.

    http://www.morphix.org

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    7
    It is possible to install gftp on knoppix 3.2, all you have to do is update your /etc/apt/sources.list for stable. run apt-get update, apt-get install gftp, the installer will install gftp and the other neccessary files. I've done that for gftp,pan,and gcombust.

    Hope that help's,
    Dave S.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2
    to mrmdls: How can you update /etc/apt/sources.list and use apt-get when you are using Knoppix from CD? Is it possible somehow? I've tried but no luck because apt-get update command is trying to write some files which are locked, or physicaly on the CD. Did I miss something?

    MaJaLeS

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    7
    majales,

    I've done that on a hd install, I should of stated that in my post.

    Dave S.

Similar Threads

  1. Hey, there's no gftp.
    By EdlinUser in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 08:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM picture

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM

$8599.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



WARIS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin UDIMM Desktop RAM H4737130 picture

WARIS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin UDIMM Desktop RAM H4737130

$119.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



HpyerX Predator DDR4 128gb 16x8 DDR4 3000 MHZ CL15 HX430C15PB3K8/128 Tested picture

HpyerX Predator DDR4 128gb 16x8 DDR4 3000 MHZ CL15 HX430C15PB3K8/128 Tested

$700.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



LOT OF 5 RAM STICKS-SAMSUNG/SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133 (16GBX5=75GB TOTAL) picture

LOT OF 5 RAM STICKS-SAMSUNG/SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133 (16GBX5=75GB TOTAL)

$345.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00