-
How to mount usb memory stick with write access for users
I install knoppix 4.02 on my HDD and i plug in my usbflash memory
then i go to konsole and write : mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash (where usbflash is previosly maked directory from me)
and i can read everything from my flash drive using GUI
but in GUI I logon with user account and I can't write on usbflash memory using GUI
can you help me
what do I have to do so I can write files on my flash using GUI
-
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash -o users,umask=000
or if already mounted: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash -o remount,rw,users,umask=000
Add the following line to /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash vfat noauto,users,exec,noatime,umask=000 0 0
btw, this forum section is for posting tips and/or tricks, not asking questions.
-
But you gave a good tip Markus. I tried alot like "mount -t vfat -o uid=500,gid=500 /dev/sda /mnt/sda" (or -o rw) or right clicking in the gui and changing rights there but got a "block device is not writable" I'm using Knoppix 3.7 and mtab gives
/dev/sda /mnt/sda vfat ro,nosuid,nodev,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0 after booting.
Edit: Write access is temporary, after each transaction ( ex deleting a file, deleting 100 files) it fails the next one.
Umounting and remounting makes it work again for 1 transaction.
Similar Threads
-
By Ming in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
-
By Prayer in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
-
By pjafrombbay in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-03-2005, 06:58 AM
-
By i2hhj in forum Laptops
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-31-2005, 07:57 PM
-
By leone25s in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-25-2004, 02:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

4 Rare Vintage S-100 Video Boards
$595.00

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8
$170.99

1997 Apple MacAdvocate CD-ROM NEW SEALED Unopened Vintage Macintosh L02177A
$19.99

Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made
$85.00

Lot of 3 Vintage IDE PATA Optical Drives CD-ROM CD-RW DVD-RW Windows 98 XP Untes
$39.99

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99

NEW StarTech ATXPOWER250 250W ATX PC Power Supply Vintage Pentium II III AMD K6
$94.98