Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: administrative account over internet connection?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1

    administrative account over internet connection?

    I am a newbie. How do I shield the administrative functions of my O/S (Knoppix 4.0) over the internet. I know it has something to do with which user I am logged in as. I don't know how to create a different user, so that the administration account is not vulnerable over the internet.
    Before coming across all the warnings, not to install KNoppix to the HD, I did. I'm using an old Pentium II box, that had corrupt win 98 and is intended as a handme down to the kiddies. Familiar with corrupted registries, I had some experience with wiping partitions. With the help of many online articles, I've had a very pleasant experience with the Knoppix installation. I have to say, I'm pretty excited about not using Windows. (Later, If it will help anyone else, I will document my experience.)
    Not sure if it was going to work, I only created one user upon installation. What do I do now?
    This is my first experience with Linux (or Debian?). Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Zekesax

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16
    Default Knoppix root password is blank (not set anything). So first set your own password for root, then exit out of root. Knoppix is another buit in user, which is not root. And I think it will be safe once you are browsing net. I hope this is what you wanted!!

Similar Threads

  1. Connection to Internet
    By ladyarcher44 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 10:56 PM
  2. I can't get a connection to Internet
    By Jorge Martínez in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 11:27 PM
  3. Internet connection Help
    By compgeek in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
  4. No Internet connection
    By zombie3000 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 04:35 AM
  5. How do I get Administrative [root] password?
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$184.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99