Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Fixing PPP in another distro

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260

    Fixing PPP in another distro

    Hi, I have been using knoppix for a few years now-although I no longer install it. I play around and multiboot a few distros-mostly FC4, Zen (which has sadly been discontinued ) and Slack ( which I'm using right now). Anyway I recently tried Foresight which is definately interesting, but the dial out stuff doesn't seem to work although users of foresight claim it has good ethernet and wireless support. But I'm on a dial up also foresight is gnome based as are all the distros I run ( I use dropline with slack )
    I'm wondering can I copy over the ppp stuff from my live dvd of knoppix 4.0 plus use kppp?
    Gnome doesn't have a good dialer or frontend for pppd. I know i can use wvdial but that doesn't set up correctly in foresight-and their web forum is sparsely used so not much help there either. Which files besides /etc/ppp would I need to cpoy to the foresight install and if I want kppp to work what exactly would I need to copy to get that working correctly?
    Thanks a lot for any help provided!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202

    Re: Fixing PPP in another distro

    Quote Originally Posted by eon
    Thanks a lot for any help provided!

    This is some help. For testing rename /etc/ppp to /pppxxx and then copy /etc/ppp from knoppix DVD

    To use kppp install kppp. The installation motor will know what it is needed, a lot of kde files I guess

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260

    Re: Fixing PPP in another distro

    Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    Quote Originally Posted by eon
    Thanks a lot for any help provided!

    This is some help. For testing rename /etc/ppp to /pppxxx and then copy /etc/ppp from knoppix DVD

    To use kppp install kppp. The installation motor will know what it is needed, a lot of kde files I guess
    That doesn't work there is more to it than just the files in /etc/ppp.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    no much more...

    try adsl-start adsl-setup adsl-status etc....

    if this work then copying from knoppix will not easyly help because knoppix uses
    pppoeconf pon poff commands to setup adsl connection, different from linuxes that uses adls-setup

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    no much more...

    try adsl-start adsl-setup adsl-status etc....

    if this work then copying from knoppix will not easyly help because knoppix uses
    pppoeconf pon poff commands to setup adsl connection, different from linuxes that uses adls-setup
    I have phone dialup access to the internet-not dsl.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    Of course, I forgot it, sorry

Similar Threads

  1. Fixing the keyboard in kdm
    By Markus in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 10:36 AM
  2. Knoppix as Rescue - Fixing the MBR
    By ChivalricRonin in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 02:11 PM
  3. [DISTRO] New distro Knoppix-Gentoo based (Gulp!)
    By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
  4. really small distro, backup distro
    By dbojan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 10:17 AM
  5. Fixing up /etc/fstab
    By todsr1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2 picture

Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2

$7.84



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.59