-
Where Do Installed Apps Go?
Hi,
I'm a total noob at this whole Linux thing. I got tired of persistent problems with Windows, so I wanted to try out Linux for a while before I breakdown and buy a Mac.
Anyway, I downloaded Knoppix and it seems to be running fine from the CD, I don't want to do a HD install until I am sure that I want to stick with Linux. I have a lot of expensive engineering software that I would like to still be able to boot up in Windows and run so I don't want to make a permanent switch just yet, but I'd like to really get a feel for Linux.
I want to download and try a few Linux Apps that aren't on the Knoppix Live CD that I am using. If I download and install those, presumably they will go on one of my harddrives somewhere right? Can I specify which drive - like can I make 1 of my hard drives (I have one that I can reformat now, it is empty) my Linux drive and make the other off limits to any Linux apps? Can I setup all my programs to use that drive as a default - so like Mozilla will automatically dump things (like my history folder) there? Should I do anything to that drive before designating it for that purpose (if I can)?
I searched but searching "download" or "harddrive" or "applications" turned up a whole lot of stuff that didn't apply.
Thanks!
Similar Threads
-
By xxkiba in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-13-2007, 06:08 AM
-
By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
-
By Fabianx in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-14-2006, 11:30 PM
-
By dvryknopper in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-31-2006, 05:56 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD
$87.96

IBM 00FN709 X3850 X6 Compute Book 3837 Barebone
$114.99