Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Laptop won't start

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    3

    Laptop won't start

    I loaded 3.9 on my compaq laptop yesterday and had no problems with it. It still has xp on and all things worked great for 3 restarts. Then I had a bad shut down (read gf tripped over the power cord) and now when I go to start it up all I get is the power light and it hums along like it’s got nothing else to do. The screen don't come on, hd light don't come on, it don't access the A or D drives, this about the most madding thing I think I've ever run into.

    Any ideas????

    Thanks, Chris

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    You mean it doesn't even show a BIOS screen? I think you have some physical hardware damage there, bro.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    3
    Nope no bios screen either. I'll take any ideas....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Yeah, I'm sorry to say that you probably have some damaged hardware. I am not sure what we can do for you here since this forum is mainly for Knoppix issues, but I would take it to your local Geek Squad or something - maybe they can tell you what's wrong with it.

  5. #5

    remove your battery

    Did you try removing your battery for about 30 seconds, reinstalling it and then try booting. This happens on alot of laptops. Removing the battery allows everything to reset so you will get the thing to startup it's bios.

    Bob

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    3
    no joy.... no batt no power for 24 hours and it still doing the same thing.... NOTHING!

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    57
    Did you see the g/f trip over the power cord, or is that the story she is sticking to? It is a good bet she dropped it and perhaps broke the HDD or mother board. She can buy you a new HDD on-line. If she doesn't like that, imagine what she will say when you tell her to buy you a new MB... then imagine yourself raising a family with her, and her wrecking the car and burning down the house, and gives you the line... "I tripped over the power cord." On second hand, have a nice new year together, and work on your computer only when she isn't around.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.0.1 does not start xwindows on laptop
    By slam666 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
  2. where i must start????
    By techz_boy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 05:54 AM
  3. Laptop stops at Start X11...
    By jayceemiller in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 01:06 AM
  4. How do I start nfs?
    By pelican in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:07 PM
  5. Where do I start??
    By Rhymer in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB  G3D picture

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D

$142.50