Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: HD partition

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2

    HD partition

    Hello all,

    I tried to install dual 0S on my laptop which is WinXP home edition and KNOPPIX but i already have installed the 1st one and wanted to install KNOPPIX and somehow, i didn't know how can i devide this HD by using KNOPPIX. Any URL or other information will be helpful for me.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    57
    kene,

    Follow parj link for the full story.

    I dual-booted Linux with WinXP, and here is my story; I learned to install WinXP first, because WinXP clobbers the whole HDD, and never offers to be installed on a partition. Next, I booted Knoppix Live CD and ran KDE >> SYSTEM >> QTPARTED and inserted a new partition at the END of the HDD. Then, I did the HDINSTALL for Knoppix (this command changes with Knoppix distro, so look around on this Forum for the correct one) and used LILO for the boot selector. When I rebooted to WinXP, it complained about the change in its HDD size, so it did a SCANDISK and worked for a little while. After a while WinXP started really complaining (and crashing), so I did the process over again, but elected to NOT install LILO as a boot selector, rather I made a BOOT FLOPPY. If I want WinXP, I boot. If I want Knoppix, I insert the floppy. No problems since.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12
    hi everyone,

    After a while WinXP started really complaining (and crashing)
    What can you expect from Windows, that's one of its features.

    Seriously, I have not tried XP. I am using Win2K Pro/Knoppix 4 with GRUB bootloader in mbr and Windows is quite happy with it. I still have windows installed in FAT32 partition. I don't like NTFS. Most problem with dual boot Win/Linux are caused by NTFS. Once its messed up its a real mess (knoppix cd to the rescue).

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    "...WinXP clobbers the whole HDD, and never offers to be installed on a partition."

    I wonder if that's a "feature" specific to XP Home? I haven't done an install of XP (always Pro so far) where I needed a partitioned drive, but I know at least one vendor (Sony) sets up a default where the OS and user files are on different partitions. So It must be possible SOMEHOW.

    If the installer really can't be made to partition the drive or install to a partition on a pre-partitioned one, it might pay to use QTParted to get free space, then "repair" the XP installation before trying to do the Linux install. That should make boot.ini agree with the actual drive geometry--and a disagreement between the description in boot.ini and the actual disk is probaly Windows's problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Mount Partition from drive with corrupt partition table
    By Nevermore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 03:34 PM
  3. Copy data from one partition to the other partition
    By bono in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
  4. How can I use other FAT partition?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 07:09 AM
  5. What is a DOS PARTITION?
    By rossnixon in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC

$115.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00