I have just finished installing Knoppix 4.0 on my hard drive using the instructions in the wiki. I have been successful with the live version but I wanted a full install on my box.
I have Windows XP on the first partition of a single hard drive of 80 gigs. I installed a Linux swap partition of 1gig as my second partition. The third partition was 15 Gigs for the Knoppix install.
I can boot to windows just fine, but when I try to get to my Knoppix I get the following error message.
"kernal panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown - block (8,3)."
I will assume that my kernel is not on that block (yea yea yea).
My Grub file reads as follows for the Linux section of the boot,
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.612 root=/dev/sda3 ro ### isk_size=100000 in initrd /boot initrd.img-2.6.12
savedefault
boot
actually my swap partition is the second partition on the drive. and the Linux partition is the third, it looks like it's looking at the swap partition for the kernal on (hd0,2).
Does this grub file look okay? Being a newbie I didn't like the looks of the "###" in this file.
Could someone please help. I'm just trying to rid myself of Mr. B Gates and company.
Thank you in advance,
Chip
I was able to get this boot working by removing the ### and making it read ro ramdisk.![]()

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD
$200.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Samsung One Connect Docking Station SOC8002B Black w/ Cable & Power Cord
$400.00
Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00