-
HD partition
Hello all,
I tried to install dual 0S on my laptop which is WinXP home edition and KNOPPIX but i already have installed the 1st one and wanted to install KNOPPIX and somehow, i didn't know how can i devide this HD by using KNOPPIX. Any URL or other information will be helpful for me.
TIA
-
kene,
Follow parj link for the full story.
I dual-booted Linux with WinXP, and here is my story; I learned to install WinXP first, because WinXP clobbers the whole HDD, and never offers to be installed on a partition. Next, I booted Knoppix Live CD and ran KDE >> SYSTEM >> QTPARTED and inserted a new partition at the END of the HDD. Then, I did the HDINSTALL for Knoppix (this command changes with Knoppix distro, so look around on this Forum for the correct one) and used LILO for the boot selector. When I rebooted to WinXP, it complained about the change in its HDD size, so it did a SCANDISK and worked for a little while. After a while WinXP started really complaining (and crashing), so I did the process over again, but elected to NOT install LILO as a boot selector, rather I made a BOOT FLOPPY. If I want WinXP, I boot. If I want Knoppix, I insert the floppy. No problems since.
-
Junior Member
registered user
hi everyone,
After a while WinXP started really complaining (and crashing)
What can you expect from Windows,
that's one of its features.
Seriously, I have not tried XP. I am using Win2K Pro/Knoppix 4 with GRUB bootloader in mbr and Windows is quite happy with it. I still have windows installed in FAT32 partition. I don't like NTFS. Most problem with dual boot Win/Linux are caused by NTFS. Once its messed up its a real mess (knoppix cd to the rescue).
-
"...WinXP clobbers the whole HDD, and never offers to be installed on a partition."
I wonder if that's a "feature" specific to XP Home? I haven't done an install of XP (always Pro so far) where I needed a partitioned drive, but I know at least one vendor (Sony) sets up a default where the OS and user files are on different partitions. So It must be possible SOMEHOW.
If the installer really can't be made to partition the drive or install to a partition on a pre-partitioned one, it might pay to use QTParted to get free space, then "repair" the XP installation before trying to do the Linux install. That should make boot.ini agree with the actual drive geometry--and a disagreement between the description in boot.ini and the actual disk is probaly Windows's problem.
Similar Threads
-
By Nevermore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
-
By jwg in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-25-2007, 03:34 PM
-
By bono in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 08-05-2004, 07:09 AM
-
By rossnixon in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD
$799.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00