-
Junior Member
registered user
nvidia driver mess up display at logout
I have just upgraded to nvidia driver and when I log in to to console the display is all messed up. I have knoppix 4 hd install. My video card is GeForce2 MX 100/200. I do not have problem logging in to kde and I have 3D acceleration enabled and usuable. My problem is how to login to console.
Here's what I did:
1. Installed nvidia driver as per procedure in http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debia...-dri-howto.txt
2. Installation OK - no errors
3. Reboot - unable to start X , console only
Error : X is not executable
messed up symlink: /etc/X11/X -> /usr/bin/X11/xfree86
fixed : /etc/X11/X -> /usr/x11r6/bin/xorg
edit xorg.conf device section:
changed Driver from "nv" to "nvidia"
commented:
# Load "GLcore"
# Load "dri"
4. Reboot - OK now, nvidia logo, kde login prompt, kde gui
5. test: glxinfo - OK
6. started torcs - OK
7. logout to restart computer again just to make sure
screen messed up, no text just green color blocks
8. computer restarted - start up screen OK
9. selected login to console at login prompt
screem messed up again
login blindly (blindly since I cannot see any text)
typed clear and now screen is blank
typed startx and I'm back to kde login prompt
logged in normally to kde
10.pressed ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE - back to messed up screen
IMO this is caused by nvidia driver. if I revert back using nv as driver everything is OK.
I have noticed that using "nv" driver is using xf86Config-4 and X executable while "nvidia" driver uses xorg.conf and xorg executable.
Can anyone shed light on this?
I cannot login to console without modifying xorg.conf to revert to nv driver. I've been seaching the web to 2 days now and I seem not been able to find explaination to this.
Here's the portion of my xorg.0.log - I included only the warning. Did not get any error.
----------=========----------
X Window System Version 6.8.2 (Debian 6.8.2.dfsg.1-11 20051129054125 David Nusinow <[email protected]>)
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.14-2-686 i686 [ELF] <== thus this version has relevence with this |
Current Operating System: Linux LinuxBox 2.6.12 #2 SMP Tue Aug 9 23:20:52 CEST 2005 i686 <==|
Build Date: 29 November 2005
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.12 (root@Knoppix) (gcc-Version 3.3.6 (Debian 1:3.3.6-7)) #2 SMP Tue Aug 9 23:20:52 CEST 2005
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Dec 24 22:58:09 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) ServerLayout "XFree86 Configured"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) | |-->Device "Card0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) XKB: model: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) XKB: layout: "us"
(==) Keyboard: CustomKeycode disabled
(**) |-->Input Device "USB Mouse"
..
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/truetype".
Entry deleted from font path.
(Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/share/fonts/truetype").
(WW) Ignoring request to load module speedo
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Multiple displays connected, but only one display allowed;
(WW) NVIDIA(0): using first display
(WW) NVIDIA(0): The user specified VertRefresh "49.000-60.000" has been
(WW) NVIDIA(0): adjusted to "50.000-60.000" (the intersection with
(WW) NVIDIA(0): EDID-specified VertRefresh "50.000-100.000"
(WW) (800x600,Monitor0) mode clock 40MHz exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz
(WW) (768x576,Monitor0) mode clock 34.96MHz exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz
(WW) (1024x768/60Hz,Monitor0) mode clock 65MHz exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz
(WW) (320x240,Monitor0) mode clock 12.6MHz exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz
(WW) (400x300,Monitor0) mode clock 18MHz exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz
(WW) (400x300,Monitor0) mode clock 20MHz exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz
(WW) (512x384,Monitor0) mode clock 32.5MHz exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz
(WW) (640x384,Monitor0) mode clock 40.07MHz exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz
(WW) (640x400,Monitor0) mode clock 41.73MHz exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz
(WW) (576x384,Monitor0) mode clock 32.497MHz exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "640x400" (height 800 is larger than
(WW) NVIDIA(0): EDID-specified maximum 76
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "576x384":
(WW) NVIDIA(0): horizontal sync start (589) not a multiple of 8
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libfb.a
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libfb.a:fbmmx.o": No symbols found
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pmf" already registered at priority 0
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic, removing from list!
----------=========----------
i had been using knoppix since 3.6 for about a year now and I found most solution to problem I encountered in this forum. Only this time I'm stuck after almost 2 days of searching.
I found mostly problems of staring X after upgrading to nvidia driver. My problem is how to login to console.
Any help is highly appreciated regarding this issue.
Thank you.
Similar Threads
-
By weedje in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 01:11 AM
-
By larrycow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 10:58 AM
-
By nIght in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-03-2003, 09:28 PM
-
By aryakori in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-26-2003, 06:17 AM
-
By athlonthunder in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00