Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Wireless works on LiveCD, not on HD. Why?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1

    Wireless works on LiveCD, not on HD. Why?

    I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 (about a year old) and a Dell Wireless 1350 pcmcia 802.11 b/g card, model Wl-611GD. The Knoppix Live CD ran beautifully, and getting the wireless to work was as simple as any tutorial: run ndiswrapper, pick bcmwl5a.inf for my card, setup the SSID info, grab DHCP, then surf. Inspired, I got rid of Windows XP altogether and formatted/partitioned the drive. I ran into problems trying to install the CD to the HD as Knoppix, so I went to the "recommended" of Debian.

    Now I'm having issues. I made sure pcmcia/cardmgr was running at boot (default, so yes). Then I typed:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf
    No errors. Good.

    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwl5a driver present, hardware present
    Still looking good.

    At this point, I noticed the dim lights on my pcmcia wireless card stayed dim, whereas they became bright when I was at this step on the Live CD. Note, I used the GUI ndiswrapper on the Live CD, whereas I don't have the GUI after having this installed, so I'm going command line.

    I tried:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -m
    No errors.

    Code:
    ifconfig
    Only lo is displayed. Odd, because I have built-in ethernet, too.

    Code:
    iwconfig
    This shows me lo and eth0, both saying, "no wireless extensions." Where's the wlan0?

    I tried:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ndis
    Didn't return anything.

    I then removed my pcmcia card, and retried:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwl5a driver present
    It recogonizes the hardware is no longer present.

    Out of desperation, I tried pump -i eth0, pump -i wlan0, netconfig, wlanconfig, and waveconfig - all gave me errors about wireless not found or something to that effect. Last I rebooted and repeated several of the above commands. Nothing.

    Where am I going wrong?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11
    I am like you, some help will be great.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11
    You have to upgrade Ndiswrapper to the latest version.

Similar Threads

  1. D-link DWL-G122 USB wireless -- it works!
    By Jacky in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
  2. Wireless USB almost works
    By psi_chemie in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 06:48 PM
  3. Touchpad works at LiveCD but freeze after hdinstall
    By jfdesign in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 05:31 AM
  4. Network works if boot LiveCD--Fails after install & rebo
    By tilleyrw in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 01:17 AM
  5. A wireless card that works!
    By Brett Clark in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2004, 06:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00