Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: apache help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northwestern Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    4

    apache help

    I want to add a tiny script "apachectl start" so my apache server is up and running on reboot, instead of having to enter the comand manually. Would someone please direct me where to add such a script? One of the rc#.d files? Elsewhere?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: apache help

    --I blv you can put it in " /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh "

    Quote Originally Posted by alienjeff
    I want to add a tiny script "apachectl start" so my apache server is up and running on reboot, instead of having to enter the comand manually. Would someone please direct me where to add such a script? One of the rc#.d files? Elsewhere?

    Thanks in advance.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northwestern Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    4
    Nope. No dice. Tried it straight "apachectl start" and "/usr/sbin/apache start" and no go.

    What I want to accomplish is having that command run should I be away from the computer and there being an unexpected reboot. I want the server to come back up without human intervention.

    Thanks for the try, though. Back to the Debian online dox. Sigh.

    EDIT MODE UPDATE!

    Got it working. Here's what I did (from terminal with 'su' privies):

    cd /etc/init.d
    cp apache /etc/rc5.d
    cd /etc/rc5.d
    cp apache S90apache
    rm apache

    Did a reboot, lo and behold: apache loaded between sshd and kdm sequence. Victory! Finally.

    Funny how such small victories can fire up a n00b like me. heh.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    Easier to do a symlink:

    ' cd /etc/rc5.d '
    ' ln /etc/init.d/apache S90apache -sfn '

    --That way you don't have to worry about duplicate scripts, and the apache file will always have the latest mods from the package maintainer.

    Quote Originally Posted by alienjeff
    Nope. No dice. Tried it straight "apachectl start" and "/usr/sbin/apache start" and no go.

    What I want to accomplish is having that command run should I be away from the computer and there being an unexpected reboot. I want the server to come back up without human intervention.

    Thanks for the try, though. Back to the Debian online dox. Sigh.

    EDIT MODE UPDATE!

    Got it working. Here's what I did (from terminal with 'su' privies):

    cd /etc/init.d
    cp apache /etc/rc5.d
    cd /etc/rc5.d
    cp apache S90apache
    rm apache

    Did a reboot, lo and behold: apache loaded between sshd and kdm sequence. Victory! Finally.

    Funny how such small victories can fire up a n00b like me. heh.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northwestern Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks, Dave! I did the commands and rebooted. All works well. Appreciate the help! -Jeff

Similar Threads

  1. How to start Apache and my sql?
    By morbidpalooza in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 06:54 PM
  2. apache and mysql
    By dr_rude in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 02:37 AM
  3. apache 1.3 --> 2.0
    By jpiranha in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 01:57 AM
  4. apache 2.0
    By jpiranha in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 11:49 PM
  5. apache+php+postgresql
    By Evilgabo in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 02:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75