Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix damaged my system boot (windows)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix damaged my system boot (windows)

    Hello,

    I am a new to knoppix, today first time I got hold of a disk (version 3.3) and I did successfully ran a session of knoppix on my laptop.
    I had Windows+Mandrake installed on my system previously. And everytime I putON my laptop it asked me which OS I want to use ( windows / mandrake). But after that session of Knoppix, that screen never comes and the screen shows me character based display
    "L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 ....... " many times till half the screen. The system halts there itself and I am helpless.

    I just fear I will have to reinstall windows which is my primary OS and has several software installed .... Can anyone let me know of possible solution and steps to be conducted inorder to put my machine in order again.

    Thanks,
    Jaydeep

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    this should help. looks like your lilo juast gor slightly broken
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Rescue_F...reinstall_LILO.

    basicly you run knoppix.
    mount the / (root) dir of your linux install rw
    Code:
    mount -t filesystem /dev/whatever2 /mnt/whatever2/-o rw
    .
    chroot into the / (root) of your install
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/whatever2
    then you reinstall lilo with
    Code:
    /sbin/lilo
    when you now reboot things should be back to normal.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for your reply, but the thing is that I have formatted the drive containing mandrake 4 months ago and I dont have linux on my machine.
    Even after removing mandrake I was getting that lilo. So that should be present somewhere on NTFS. Can anyone point the location of lilo in that case so i can fix as per steps described.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    SHIT!!
    NO, no lilo on the NTFS, that old one is now LOST!
    you have no lilo.conf and such, you have to rebuild the Win boot.
    seems this may do it (i have no Win to try on).
    What you need to do is boot into Recovery Console on the CD (i know you said 2K...but should perhaps work) - and run the command;
    Bootcfg /rebuild
    more on the posting i took the quote from.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22556

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3
    where do I run the command bootcfg /rebuild , knoppix said: command not found.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you boot the XP cd and in the recoveryconsole under that you run it.

Similar Threads

  1. c\windows\system32\config\system Error - need Knoppix
    By NYC in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 05:08 PM
  2. Windows-XP like login system?
    By jacksonon in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 10:53 AM
  3. Damaged download : knoppix 3.5 dvd!
    By fischer1000 in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 05:11 AM
  4. Knoppix Live CD-Entire windows system backup to DVD via USB
    By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
  5. [Help please] Installing Knoppix on Windows XP system
    By jimcp in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 08:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00