-
Junior Member
registered user
Install Knoppix with out partition
Is there anyway to install and boot to Knoppix on the HDD without partitioning, and if so, does Knoppix essentailly become fully functional Linux
-
Re: Install Knoppix with out partition

Originally Posted by
kwyjibo730
Is there anyway to install and boot to Knoppix on the HDD without partitioning, and if so, does Knoppix essentailly become fully functional Linux
You may try to boot from the ISO cd image file stored in your hdd, cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 & http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
I use it every day. You will have the same limitations as booting from the cd/dvd except that it boots way faster.
And you may consider the use of a persistent home directory to prevent loosing your data every time you boot ...
Cheers, Gilles
-
Senior Member
registered user
Buy a 2nd HDD
You could buy a small 2nd HDD off Ebay. Install Knoppix on it if you must. Better yet, Kanotix.
No partitioning issues or tricky stuff.
Super safe too.
sakiZ
-
Junior Member
registered user
How could I create a persistent home directory, or would it be easier just to write to my main HDD (though I've heard this isn't recommended)?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Buy a 2nd HDD

Originally Posted by
sakiZ
You could buy a small 2nd HDD off Ebay.
Or better yet, buy one that actually works at a local store, get a new drive, don't pay shipping, know that you're really going to get something, and likely pay a lot less than the electronic bay of thieves will take from you. I can buy a new large (120 gig) drive for a lot less (after rebate) than I would have to pay for a dubious quality hunk of junk from e-bay.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Junior Member
registered user
The issue isn't about getting a new hdd; (I certainly wouldn't use ebay for that anyway) I could easily do that on my own. I want to know how to set up a so called "persistent home directory" or what a safe way to write to the existing hard drive is. If there is no way, please tell me and I will get a new hdd.
-

Originally Posted by
kwyjibo730
The issue isn't about getting a new hdd; (I certainly wouldn't use ebay for that anyway) I could easily do that on my own. I want to know how to set up a so called "persistent home directory" or what a safe way to write to the existing hard drive is. If there is no way, please tell me and I will get a new hdd.
If you have a non ntfs partition, it is straight forward since linux has built in write capability for fat, ext, ...
If you only have access to ntfs partition(s), an easy and low cost solution is to use a USB dongle
since only the modified data will have to be stored, usually a small size and low cost device will be good enough.
If for some reason you want to store your data on a ntfs partition, I would recommend to only store data
within a chunk of blocs declared as part of a single file for the ntfs, or in other words,
create a (large) file under Windows and then under Linux create a ext2 file system within that file
which you will use as your persistent home directory. In this case you will never write into the ntfs.
From linux, you only modify some data being part of a list of blocs which only belong to the data area a file of the ntfs.
This is a very safe way to access a ntfs partition, since linux never nodify the directory structure of the ntfs.
Hope this helps. Best Regards,
Gilles
Similar Threads
-
By oceans11 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-19-2005, 07:45 PM
-
By leenux in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 05:20 AM
-
By Zibar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 03:58 AM
-
By raphael24 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-07-2003, 10:48 PM
-
By abo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600
$239.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$58.00

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive
$349.99

1TB SATA 7200RPM 3.5” Enterprise Hard Drive WD Hitachi HDD
$59.99