Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: testing remasted 4.0 with grub

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12

    testing remasted 4.0 with grub

    I've just finished remastering Knoppix. Now before I burn it to CD, I'd like to test it first. I read the item at the How-To and I also looked at the sections on harddrive install.

    A little background...
    On the harddrive is installed WinXP and RH9. It has one harddrive with the following partitions:
    /dev/hda1 (windows boot fat16)
    /dev/hda2 (windows OS fat32)
    /dev/hda3 (the RH hardware browser puts the remaing partitions under this partition and doesn't say much else about this)
    /dev/hda5 (windows user files fat32)
    /dev/hda6 (linux boot)
    /dev/hda7 (linux swap)
    /dev/hda8 (all other linux files)
    (and no I don't know where hda4 is)
    Knoppix from the CD finds hda1,hda2,hda5,hda6,hda8

    I followed the directions in the How-To. Only major things I did was change the background image, change the auto-config script to allow you to set the host name (from a post in this forum), and remove Openoffice, Apache, PHP, and MySQL. My remastered stuff is on /dev/hda8 under the knx directory as suggested in the How-To

    Now I editied my grub.conf file to add the following:

    title KNOPPIX
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /knx/master/boot/isolinux/linux 2 fromhd=/dev/hda8/knx/source lang=us
    initrd /knx/master/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

    I reboot and select the new option from grub. Now it seems to boot fine. The kernel gets decompressed, it scans for USB/Firewire devices.

    Then something horrible happens...
    It says
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited shell.
    Press reset button to quit
    I've tried playing with everything. I've narrowed the problem down to the value for fromhd=
    I tried moving the KNOPPIX directory to / of hda8 (which was suggested in the how to) and pointing fromhd there. I've tried putting on other partitions. However no matter what I try I still get that horrible error.

    Does anyone know what am I doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: testing remasted 4.0 with grub

    Quote Originally Posted by stry_cat
    I've just finished remastering Knoppix. Now before I burn it to CD, I'd like to test it first.
    Maybe I'm just "old school", but rather than wonder if it's something with the remaster or a problem in the booting-from-iso nonsense, wouoldn't it be much simpler to test it by burning a CDRW?

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: testing remasted 4.0 with grub

    Quote Originally Posted by stry_cat
    I've just finished remastering Knoppix. Now before I burn it to CD, I'd like to test it first.
    After compiling your iso file and before burning a lot of CDs, you may consider
    trying it by booting from your ISO cd image file still stored in your hdd, cf:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 & http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    I use it almost every day when working on a remaster. It is actually a very fast way to boot knoppix.

    Quote Originally Posted by stry_cat
    I've tried playing with everything. I've narrowed the problem down to the value for fromhd=
    I tried moving the KNOPPIX directory to / of hda8 (which was suggested in the how to) and pointing fromhd there. I've tried putting on other partitions. However no matter what I try I still get that horrible error.
    Does anyone know what am I doing wrong?
    Knoppix by default looks for a compressed loop back file system called KNOPPIX
    in the KNOPPIX directory located in the root of the boot partition.
    If this is not the case, you must use the cheatcode knoppix_dir=other_KNOPPIX_directory
    and knoppix_name=other_KNOPPIX_name to let Knoppix know about your custom configuration.
    In your case, I assume that your local remaster is located in /dev/hda8/knx and not in /dev/hda8/KNOPPIX ...
    Hope this will help.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    87
    If you want to save CDs during testing I suggest old faithful qemu, better yet, if you have the dollars VMware. I do all my remastering and testing in a virtual environment.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12
    I suspect ruymbeke is right, but before I play around with the grub.conf file again, I thought I'd make sure there wasn't a problem with the remastering of it. First test will be to remaster from the CD again, but make no changes. This is just to be sure the process still works with 4 as the How-to is for 3.x It's chugging away now.

    I managed to get qemu installed. What I made that wouldn't boot under grub, will boot under qemu however it is really slow. Too slow to be useful.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12
    Just to update everyone, ruymbeke was right. I just needed the right knoppix_dir and knoppix_name cheat codes.

    Now if I could just figure out how to install software from another CD. In testing it, it seems to think my hda8 is the cdrom, so I still can't mount a different cdrom.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 6.0.1 to Debian Testing
    By nicholse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 03:07 AM
  2. Booting from iso for testing purposes
    By thehigherentity in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 04:57 AM
  3. testing php code
    By maxIT in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 08:13 PM
  4. WEP Penetration Testing
    By foamrotreturns in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
  5. Should I upgrade to Testing?
    By evilmrhenry in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R picture

Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R

$341.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Micron 6x64GB(384GB)DDR4 ECC Registered LRDIMM PC4-2400T 288-Pin MTA72ASS8G72LZ picture

Micron 6x64GB(384GB)DDR4 ECC Registered LRDIMM PC4-2400T 288-Pin MTA72ASS8G72LZ

$1600.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50