-
Junior Member
registered user
testing remasted 4.0 with grub
I've just finished remastering Knoppix. Now before I burn it to CD, I'd like to test it first. I read the item at the How-To and I also looked at the sections on harddrive install.
A little background...
On the harddrive is installed WinXP and RH9. It has one harddrive with the following partitions:
/dev/hda1 (windows boot fat16)
/dev/hda2 (windows OS fat32)
/dev/hda3 (the RH hardware browser puts the remaing partitions under this partition and doesn't say much else about this)
/dev/hda5 (windows user files fat32)
/dev/hda6 (linux boot)
/dev/hda7 (linux swap)
/dev/hda8 (all other linux files)
(and no I don't know where hda4 is)
Knoppix from the CD finds hda1,hda2,hda5,hda6,hda8
I followed the directions in the How-To. Only major things I did was change the background image, change the auto-config script to allow you to set the host name (from a post in this forum), and remove Openoffice, Apache, PHP, and MySQL. My remastered stuff is on /dev/hda8 under the knx directory as suggested in the How-To
Now I editied my grub.conf file to add the following:
title KNOPPIX
root (hd0,7)
kernel /knx/master/boot/isolinux/linux 2 fromhd=/dev/hda8/knx/source lang=us
initrd /knx/master/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
I reboot and select the new option from grub. Now it seems to boot fine. The kernel gets decompressed, it scans for USB/Firewire devices.
Then something horrible happens...
It says
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited shell.
Press reset button to quit
I've tried playing with everything. I've narrowed the problem down to the value for fromhd=
I tried moving the KNOPPIX directory to / of hda8 (which was suggested in the how to) and pointing fromhd there. I've tried putting on other partitions. However no matter what I try I still get that horrible error. 
Does anyone know what am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: testing remasted 4.0 with grub

Originally Posted by
stry_cat
I've just finished remastering Knoppix. Now before I burn it to CD, I'd like to test it first.
Maybe I'm just "old school", but rather than wonder if it's something with the remaster or a problem in the booting-from-iso nonsense, wouoldn't it be much simpler to test it by burning a CDRW?
-
Re: testing remasted 4.0 with grub

Originally Posted by
stry_cat
I've just finished remastering Knoppix. Now before I burn it to CD, I'd like to test it first.
After compiling your iso file and before burning a lot of CDs, you may consider
trying it by booting from your ISO cd image file still stored in your hdd, cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 & http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
I use it almost every day when working on a remaster. It is actually a very fast way to boot knoppix.

Originally Posted by
stry_cat
I've tried playing with everything. I've narrowed the problem down to the value for fromhd=
I tried moving the KNOPPIX directory to / of hda8 (which was suggested in the how to) and pointing fromhd there. I've tried putting on other partitions. However no matter what I try I still get that horrible error.

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong?
Knoppix by default looks for a compressed loop back file system called KNOPPIX
in the KNOPPIX directory located in the root of the boot partition.
If this is not the case, you must use the cheatcode knoppix_dir=other_KNOPPIX_directory
and knoppix_name=other_KNOPPIX_name to let Knoppix know about your custom configuration.
In your case, I assume that your local remaster is located in /dev/hda8/knx and not in /dev/hda8/KNOPPIX ...
Hope this will help.
Best Regards,
Gilles
-
If you want to save CDs during testing I suggest old faithful qemu, better yet, if you have the dollars VMware. I do all my remastering and testing in a virtual environment.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I suspect ruymbeke is right, but before I play around with the grub.conf file again, I thought I'd make sure there wasn't a problem with the remastering of it. First test will be to remaster from the CD again, but make no changes. This is just to be sure the process still works with 4 as the How-to is for 3.x It's chugging away now.
I managed to get qemu installed. What I made that wouldn't boot under grub, will boot under qemu however it is really slow. Too slow to be useful.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Just to update everyone, ruymbeke was right. I just needed the right knoppix_dir and knoppix_name cheat codes.
Now if I could just figure out how to install software from another CD. In testing it, it seems to think my hda8 is the cdrom, so I still can't mount a different cdrom.
Similar Threads
-
By nicholse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-05-2009, 03:07 AM
-
By thehigherentity in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-27-2006, 04:57 AM
-
By maxIT in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-16-2005, 08:13 PM
-
By foamrotreturns in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
-
By evilmrhenry in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00

Cisco C3850-NM-2-40G Cisco Catalyst 3850 2x40GE Network Module- Fast Shipping
$269.00