Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: live filesystems

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13

    live filesystems

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make a version of RedHat (7.3 and above) run on a live cdrom or dvdrom? I have checked out this site and others exactly like it, but I have yet to produce similar results as the site advertises. The site is:

    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue54/nielsen.html
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Diskless-HOWTO-3.html

    I tried CoolLinux and SuperRescue, but those OS's never ran on my machines. The only one that did was Knoppix, but that is Debian based and I am looking at holding to the RedHat standard.

    Walter

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Why Redhat?
    You'll have to convert all the debian knoppix debs into rpms.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13

    live filesystem

    I was not looking at converting Knoppix, but starting from scratch and building RedHat 9.0 live from some sort of standard as to how the system should start. Would you happen to know of any documentation that could point me in the right direction?


    Thanks,
    Walter

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    mount the boot.img of KNOPPIX and have a look at the linuxrc in the miniroot.gz, also note the overall directory structure of it. That forms the basis of liveCD of KNOPPIX. For hardware detection see the /etc/rcS.d/S00* file after KNOPPIX has been booted.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    The bootable Linux distro "TAHDER" is based on RedHat 8.0 and is essentially an out-of-the-box installation of RedHat made to fit and work on the CD. Not really Knoppix, but based on Knoppix technology in part (cloop).

    Homepage and Download:
    http://pcxperience.org/TAHDER/

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13

    Tahder (RH 8.0 live)

    Thanks, I will try to find its source (without the cloop compression as it will be put on a DVD) I am still looking at starting from scratch with documentation. Does Knoppix have any general documentation for creating a live distro.


    Thanks,
    Walter

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: Tahder (RH 8.0 live)

    Quote Originally Posted by walterw
    Thanks, I will try to find its source (without the cloop compression as it will be put on a DVD)
    Why not? The compression actually speeds up the reading process (by a factor ~2.4, aka the compression ratio). And then you will be able to fit some 11GB of programs on the disk.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13

    compression ratio

    The reason to put it on a DVD is that I would have the installer (1.8 gb), rescue image (2.5 gb), and the rest for software and updates. The rescue image will be a full-feautured RedHat distribution similar to my hard drive install. In the future, I would compress the data either with cloop or zisofs to make it fit on a cdr, but to get started, I need the system to at least to work without all of those fancy features.

    Walter

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: compression ratio

    Quote Originally Posted by walterw
    The reason to put it on a DVD is that I would have the installer (1.8 gb), rescue image (2.5 gb), and the rest for software and updates. The rescue image will be a full-feautured RedHat distribution similar to my hard drive install. In the future, I would compress the data either with cloop or zisofs to make it fit on a cdr, but to get started, I need the system to at least to work without all of those fancy features.
    I get that, compressing 11 gigabytes is a timely business...

    But you seemed determined not to compress it (never). Which seemed dumb to me.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13

    compression

    What compression scheme is more efficient in your mind and why?

    I just got SuperRescue working on my box. It is much slower compared to Knoppix, how does Klaus boot the thing so quickly? Knoppix boots just as fast as my harddrive install (RedHat 9.0). How different is Debian in the way things are run, I may consider running Debian from now on.


    Walter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. KNOPPIX with 2 compressed filesystems?
    By your_breakfast in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 06:18 AM
  2. Live CDs
    By dhough in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 09:48 PM
  3. The size of the compressed filesystems
    By drewbradford in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 09:34 PM
  4. LUFS network filesystems kernel module
    By bhsx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 01:21 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 09:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco 6500 WS-X6148A-GE-45AF 48-Port 10/100/1000 RJ-45 802.3af PoE Card Module. picture

Cisco 6500 WS-X6148A-GE-45AF 48-Port 10/100/1000 RJ-45 802.3af PoE Card Module.

$80.00



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00