-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: compression

Originally Posted by
walterw
I just got SuperRescue working on my box. It is much slower compared to Knoppix, how does Klaus boot the thing so quickly? Knoppix boots just as fast as my harddrive install (RedHat 9.0). How different is Debian in the way things are run, I may consider running Debian from now on
Yes, the thing is that having the data compressed on the CD makes it read faster, because it's faster to read say 400kb from the CD and uncompress it to 1Meg, than it is to read 1Meg uncompressed. This is becasue the CD read speed is the bottleneck in the whole process.
Debian is probally slightly faster than RedHat at booting. But you should consider running Debian for many more reasons than that... ( apt-get, way more available packages, easy upgrades .. etc etc )
-
Junior Member
registered user
Debian features
thanks for your take, for now, I will most likely do a remastering of the Knoppix cd to add custom software that I use. I believe that SuperRescue uses zisofs which compresses the data with a 2:1 ratio or so, I was not impressed at all with the speed that it booted with, but I liked the two things about it (it requires you to login upon startup, and kudzu for hardware detection) (this would be good to restrict access so that someone does not have total control of your computer). How does Klaus optimize the cd for speed when remastering it?
Another question, if I were to use cloop compression on making an iso image of mp3's (which are already compressed), would I get any compression out of them? If I could do that, I can pack nearly 2.0 gb of music on a cd and 12 gb on a dvd or so. CDROMs are in every computer just about so this would help make the distro run on any machine.
Thanks much,
Walter
Similar Threads
-
By your_breakfast in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 06:18 AM
-
By dhough in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-16-2004, 09:48 PM
-
By drewbradford in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-30-2003, 09:34 PM
-
By bhsx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-06-2003, 01:21 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29