Quote Originally Posted by tr
I think you have misunderstood the whole thing. Klaus Knopper explains it in thread http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00015.html:
Code:
Short explanation: The ISO filesystem, which is still used for the DVD
for compatibility reasons, has a maximum file size limitation of 2 GB.
So, in order to use a compressed image of more than 2GB in size, you
have to use TWO (or more) cloop images instead (cloop can handle up to 8
simultaneous images by default), and then just join them with unionfs.
The /linuxrc inside minirt.gz does this.
-tapsa-
Thanks for the info. Since my problem is about compressing existing images, the ability to join them with unionfs will not help me.
Anyway, as it is now, the cloop images are "limited" in size by the amount of RAM that I have available. (I wonder why it was built this way... gzip can compress images that are much larger than the available RAM...)

Cheers
Dirk