-
HD DVD-install problem: LILO refuses to install
Greetings,
I used the sudo knoppix-install-latest-web command to get knoppix onto my drive so I could play around with linux before I go on to debian or possibly some other distro. All went peachy with the 0.3-14 installer except for the part where it's supposed to install LILO.
I got this error:
LILO version 22.6.1, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2004 John Coffman
Released 17-Nov-2004, and compiled at 12:32:32 on May 25 2005
Debian GNU/Linux
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.01.00-ioctl (2005-01-17)(compat) and kernel driver
raid_setup returns offset = 00000000 ndisk = 0
BIOS VolumeID Device
Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
Name change: '/dev/cloop0' -> '/dev/cloop'
pf_hard_disk_scan: ndevs=1
0300 AEEAAEEA /dev/hda
Resolve invalid VolumeIDs
Resolve duplicate VolumeIDs
0300 AEEAAEEA /dev/hda
device codes (user assigned pf) = 0
device codes (user assigned) = 0
device codes (BIOS assigned) = 0
Filling in '/dev/hda' = 0x80
device codes (canonical) = 1
Device 0x0300: BIOS drive 0x80, 16 heads, 65535 cylinders,
63 sectors. Partition offset: 0 sectors.'
Using Volume ID AEEAAEEA on bios 80
Fatal: Trying to map files from unnamed device 0x000e (NFS/RAID mirror down ?)
Well, that isn't exactly the error i got at the installer, that time I got a shorter one with the same "complaints". This is the one when I, with my meager knowledge and the help of a few guides of the net, try to install lilo manually.
I get no lilo-promt at boot up, my comp just goes in it's merry way and heads into Win XP.
My hd-setup is as follows:
Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 1912 15358108+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 1913 6898 40050045 83 Linux
/dev/hda3 6899 7296 3196935 82 Linux swap / Solaris
Any ideas as to what's wrong?
Regards,
Fadeh
-
Greetings, again,
I decided to prolong my life by sparing myself of the agony of a serious linux problem so I decided to try out Ubuntu linux, which is a similar "pocket"-OS to knoppix but has an actual
Debain installer routine.
I spend 30 minutes installing and everything worked without a hitch, so I am very happy. If you're not familiar with it check it out: www.ubuntulinux.org
Similar Threads
-
By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 03-15-2005, 08:06 PM
-
By lewisdw in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-14-2004, 02:10 PM
-
By Laen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-01-2004, 03:03 AM
-
By eludom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By Calvi Risorta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 05-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854
$225.00

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs
$49.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$54.99