-
Junior Member
registered user
Booting Knoppix4.0.2 from DOS
Hi all
I am trying to boot Knoppix 4.0.2 from Dos
I did the following
create Folder in E: called Knoppix
put knoppix .iso inside with initrd.tgz minirt.gz and a file called linux with loadlin
I go to e:/knoppix I type loadlin linux + some other options I get
invalid compressed format (err2)
Any Idea
-
Re: Booting Knoppix4.0.2 from DOS

Originally Posted by
hobz
Hi all
I am trying to boot Knoppix 4.0.2 from Dos
I did the following
create Folder in E: called Knoppix
put knoppix .iso inside with initrd.tgz minirt.gz and a file called linux with loadlin
I go to e:/knoppix I type loadlin linux + some other options I get
invalid compressed format (err2)
Any Idea
I did it from a DOS bootable USB dongle using both lilo and grub, check in here:
http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/usb_dgle4.zip
The key piece is the new minirt ramdisk boot file: minirt_usb2.gz
which is required to boot from an iso cd image file (double loop back):
http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_usb2.gz
For more info and updates please have a look at this thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758
Cheers,
Gilles
-
Junior Member
registered user
I will go ahead and read it but I don't think it will help
as I am having and old bios that does not support booting from USB
-

Originally Posted by
hobz
I will go ahead and read it but I don't think it will help
as I am having and old bios that does not support booting from USB
I am not sure you have understood how I was trying to help you.
I used DOS to boot from my USB dongle and from DOS I boot Knoppix from the ISO.
In your case, since you already have your computer booting DOS,
you only need to get the second part which is to get Knoppix to boot from the iso file using DOS.
So to get that done, you can use the second part of my setup:
You will need to use at least my minirt_usb2.gz for the iso boot
and modify your configuration files, menu.lst for grub, or the bat file you use to launch lilo.
To achieve this, please get inspired by the configuration files I used in my USB boot setup.
Good luck,
Gilles
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks
I realized this after an indepth reading
I will try to execute the steps and feed you back
-
Junior Member
registered user
I see in GRUB only supports USB and NTFS what about fat what subdir I an use for this sorry if my question seems silly
-

Originally Posted by
hobz
I see in GRUB only supports USB and NTFS what about fat what subdir I an use for this sorry if my question seems silly
Both this version of grub & my minirt_usb2.gz actually supports most file systems, including fat/12/16/32, ntfs, ext2/3 and reiser.
Follow what I have done on my USB setup as for the config files and where to store them.
Gilles
-
Junior Member
registered user
wow
It started booting
But it hangs in th middle at
acpi setting ELCR to 0200 from (0420)
what cheat code shuld i add to the start command line ?
-

Originally Posted by
hobz
wow
It started booting
But it hangs in th middle at
acpi setting ELCR to 0200 from (0420)
what cheat code shuld i add to the start command line ?
From the knoppix-cheatcodes.txt file, you can read:
In case of a failing hardware autodetection, try booting with any of
the "no-" options as shown in the table above, like in
knoppix noagp noaudio noapm noapic acpi=off nodma nopcmcia noscsi nousb
to skip some critical parts of the autodetection system.
In your case, I would try acpi=off first, then noapic and nolapic ...
Good Luck,
Gilles
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have added acpi=off to the command
then I got
kernel panic: no syncing:vfs unable to mount root from unknown block (1-3)
Similar Threads
-
By tomich in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-08-2006, 05:29 PM
-
By Honkeychops in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-04-2005, 06:50 PM
-
By boycott in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-27-2005, 01:19 PM
-
By boycott in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-21-2005, 06:20 PM
-
By Cathbard in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.60

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1785.15

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

NEW SGIN 18.5" Laptop Intel Core i3-10100Y 16GB RAM 1TB SSD RJ45 USB-C Win11
$402.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$17.99