Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Booting Knoppix4.0.2 from DOS

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19
    Ok Now
    I have overcomed the last fault by specifying root=/dev/hda1

    My command no is loadlin linux init=/etc/init acpi=off noscsi root=/dev/hda1

    I get a new error
    kernel panic no syncing no init defined try passing init= option to kernel
    (6)input: at translated set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
    logips2pp:detected unknown logitech mouse model 0
    input IMPS/2logitech Wheel mouse on isa0060/serio4
    input AT translated set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

    and it hangs.

  2. #12
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by hobz
    I have added acpi=off to the command then I got
    kernel panic: no syncing:vfs unable to mount root from unknown block (1-3)
    Are you using grub or lilo ? (lilo has a very ennoying command line length limitation)
    Where is the knoppix iso file ? did you rename it ? did you update the bootfrom= path cheatcode to point to it ?
    Gilles

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19
    knoppix iso file in d:/knoppix/boot/knoppix-204 or /dev/hda5/knoppix/boot/knoppix-204 it goes there and starts booting sequence
    I think this way I am not using grub or lilo
    I am just typing loadlin linux .blablabla
    grub.exe is in the same directory as knoppix.iso and loadlin
    but when I tried it , it searches menu.lst and itcan't find it even it is there

  4. #14
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by hobz
    knoppix iso file in d:/knoppix/boot/knoppix-204 or /dev/hda5/knoppix/boot/knoppix-204 it goes there and starts booting sequence
    In my setup I have all the 3 knoppix boot files in the /boot/knoppix.402 directory:
    the "linux" kernel, the "minirt_usb2.gz" boot ramdisk, and the KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso cd iso image file,
    the location of these files has to match the kernel boot cheatcode: bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.402/*.iso
    Please note the *.iso (iso lowercase) and the KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso (iso lowercase)
    With linux and a boot ramdisk you can already get the boot sequence to start,
    but only a correct setup and the proper boot ramdisk will allow you to get Knoppix to finich the boot properly.

    Quote Originally Posted by hobz
    I think this way I am not using grub or lilo I am just typing loadlin linux .blablabla
    loadlin.exe is a DOS port of the lilo boot loader and has a command line lenght limitation.
    I would recommend to use grub.exe instead (which require to not have emm386 loaded)
    Grub has an interactive mode (c) and an edit mode (e) for fine setup which i find very useful.

    Quote Originally Posted by hobz
    grub.exe is in the same directory as knoppix.iso and loadlin but when I tried it,
    it searches menu.lst and itcan't find it even it is there
    You have to tell grub where to find the menu.lst file using a command line as follow:
    grub.exe --config-file=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst
    assuming that the menu.lst file is in the /boot/grub directory of the first partition of the first disk drive.
    You should modify my menu.lst to match your needs, or something as follow:
    title Knoppix 4.02 from ISO
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.402/*.iso vga=791 noprompt apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=us dma
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.402/minirt_usb2.gz
    boot
    Please note that: (hd0,0) --> hda1, (hd0,1) --> hda2, (hd1,0) --> hdb1, (hd3,4) --> hdd5, ...

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19
    Ok fine
    finally able to start booting through grub
    I see the linux pinguin at the top left
    at the start i see a new error
    can't find knoppix file system sorry dropping you to a very limited shell

    the command is
    kernel (hd0,0)/knoppix/boot/knoppix.402/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knoppix/boot/knoppix-402/knoppix.iso vga=791 noprompt apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=us nodma
    initrd (hd0,0)/knoppix/boot/knoppix.402/minirt_usb2.gz
    boot

  6. #16
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by hobz
    Ok fine
    finally able to start booting through grub
    I see the linux pinguin at the top left
    at the start i see a new error
    can't find knoppix file system sorry dropping you to a very limited shell
    Knoppix did not find the iso cd image file, because the bootfrom kernel cheatcode
    do not match the path where the iso cd image file is stored.
    Please follow what I wrote in my previous post.
    Gilles

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19
    In my setup I have all the 3 knoppix boot files in the /knoppix/boot/knoppix-402 directory: inside partition d: or /dev/hda5 or (HD0,4)
    the linux kernel, the minirt.gz boot ramdisk, and the knoppix.iso cd iso image file,
    kernel boot cheatcode: bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knoppix/boot/knoppix-402/knoppix.iso

    this is my setup

  8. #18
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by hobz
    In my setup I have all the 3 knoppix boot files in the /knoppix/boot/knoppix-402 directory: inside partition d: or /dev/hda5 or (HD0,4)
    the linux kernel, the minirt.gz boot ramdisk, and the knoppix.iso cd iso image file,
    kernel boot cheatcode: bootfrom=/dev/hda5/knoppix/boot/knoppix-402/knoppix.iso
    this is my setup
    Did you use my minirt_usb2.gz boot ramdisk ? Or the minirt.gz file off the cd ?
    The minirt.gz boot ramdisk off ce CD cannot boot from an ISO file, which is one of the reasons for my minirt_usb2.gz update.
    Gilles

  9. #19
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19
    In fact I was using the one in the cd
    when I saw the minirt_usb.gz , I thought it is related to booting from usb & not hard drive
    so u are suggesting that it must be used
    I will do and feed you back

  10. #20
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by hobz
    In fact I was using the one in the cd
    when I saw the minirt_usb.gz , I thought it is related to booting from usb & not hard drive
    so u are suggesting that it must be used
    I will do and feed you back
    Correct.
    The minirt_usb2.gz boot ramdisk includes quite a few features not available from the minirt.gz off the cd.
    Firts, it will allow you to boot Knoppix from an ISO file located on fat12/16/32, ext2/3 or reiser partition (ntfs and reiser added).
    In case of a wrong devive name, the boot script will automatically search for an other working device with the same directory path,
    boot from it, and suggest you to update your kernel boot command line with the working device. (bootfrom=)
    Then, it will allow you to change the hostname of the machine with a fixed or dynamic name (network_hw_address or time)
    and has a bug fix for using the USB2.0 kernel module on USB2.0 hardware (instead of always using the slow USB1 kernel module).
    I changed the name of the boot ramdisks with the new features added over time which may be a little confusing,
    but all the previous added features are still included in the new update.
    As an exaple, the minirt_usb2.gz adds usb2 support to the previous iso boot, ntfs, reiser, auto search, and hostname features.
    Gilles

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sound OSS Problem - Knoppix4
    By tomich in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 05:29 PM
  2. Zip drive recognition with Knoppix4.0
    By Honkeychops in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 06:50 PM
  3. Knoppix4.0 - knoppix-installer doesn't work properly?
    By boycott in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 01:19 PM
  4. Knoppix4.0 - by installing to HD - can't write to HD
    By boycott in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 06:20 PM
  5. English with Knoppix4 DVD
    By Cathbard in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 05:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield picture

ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield

$60.00



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99



*BENT PINS* ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi LGA 1700 ATX Intel Motherboard picture

*BENT PINS* ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi LGA 1700 ATX Intel Motherboard

$37.98