-
Junior Member
registered user
Disk is 8 to 16 times slower under 4.02
Using the CD version of Knoppix 4.02, hdparm -t /dev/hda shows that my
drive is only working at 4 MB per second. Under Knoppix 3.6 and Fedora Linux,
hdparm reports 60 to 62 MB/second.
hdparm -t /dev/sda shows that my USB memory key is 1 MB/second, but
it runs at 8 MB/second under Knoppix 3.6 or Fedora.
hdparm -I /dev/hda reports exactly the same information under Knoppix 4.02,
Knoppix 3.6, and Fedora. Specifically, they both show that my ATA 100 drive is
definitely using the UDMA5 mode.
The slowdown is real, not a quirk of hdparm. I use this dd command to back up my system.
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdc1 bs=2M
Under Knoppix 4.02, the backup takes unbearably long. Under Knoppix 3.6 the drive to drive
copying is done at more than 50 megabytes per second.
My hard drives are identical ATA 100 Seagate Barracudas. My motherboard is a GA=7N400,
which has the nForce2 chipset.
-
Try "modprobe ehci-hcd"
I had the same problem. The solution was to load the usb 2.0 driver, ehci-hcd. Once I did that, I got the 2.0 speeds.
FMI, see:
http://www.linux-usb.org/usb2.html
-
I noticed the same problem, found a patch a made a fix. CF:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=97923#97923
Gilles
-
Junior Member
registered user
How to install the patch?
Hello Gilles, can you please tell me how you installed the patch?
I downloaded minirt_usb2.gz, mounted the CD image .iso file, copied in
the new minirt_usb2, and burned an new CD. The new CD doesn't boot.
Do I have to do the entire "remastering" procedure to apply the patch?
Is there a checksum that I must update before burning a CD?
-
Re: How to install the patch?

Originally Posted by
JeffBonn
Hello Gilles, can you please tell me how you installed the patch?
I downloaded minirt_usb2.gz, mounted the CD image .iso file, copied in
the new minirt_usb2, and burned an new CD. The new CD doesn't boot.
Do I have to do the entire "remastering" procedure to apply the patch?
Is there a checksum that I must update before burning a CD?
The patch for the linuxrc boot script file (included in the minirt.gz) is described in here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00031.html
I always boot from the ISO files stored on the hdd and use the minirt_usb4.gz
(which includes the USB2 patch + other nice features) instead of the minirt.gz off the cd.
(read how to make it work from the forum or wiki: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition)
I never tried to make a new iso after having replaced the minirt.gz by the minirt_usb4.gz ... it may work...
Get the minirt_usb4.gz file from here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=98940#98940
and in order to make a new bootable Knoppix CD, you will need to follow this FAQ:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...to#Live_CD_ISO
and use this command from Linux (or cygwin):
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master
Hope this helps,
Gilles
PS: If I have time, I will try to make that ISO...
-
Senior Member
registered user
>PS: If I have time, I will try to make that ISO...
yes PLEASE do so...
-

Originally Posted by
mikekgr
>PS: If I have time, I will try to make that ISO...
yes PLEASE do so...
I just tried, and it doesn't work as is... more work to be done for cd boot...
Edit:
I just got the CD boot working now with the minirt_usb4.gz (tested with qemu):
For some reasons the isolinux boot loader used by the Knoppix official cd
doesn't like the minirt_usb4.gz file. Problem of size ?
But I do not have the time to investigate now...
I got it working using grub as a bootloader and the following command to generate the iso:
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -R -N -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -no-iso-translate \
-boot-load-seg 0x1000 -b boot/isolinux/grldr -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o ../iso_usb.iso ../cdrom
And I used the following menu.lst in the root of the CD:
title Knoppix
kernel (cd)/boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet dma screen=1600x1200
initrd (cd)/boot/isolinux/minirt_usb4.gz
boot
Best Regards,
Gilles
-
Junior Member
registered user
will try it
Gilles, thank you for the detailed instructions. Your post describes several
different issues that I did not know about. -- Jeff
-

Originally Posted by
mikekgr
>PS: If I have time, I will try to make that ISO...
yes PLEASE do so...
Here it is: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/iso_usb.iso (md5: 3b70c1b7fdb1b1659404925fdcd379d2)
This is just for demo purpose. I won't keep this link alive too long, since I do not have unlimited bandwidth.
So please let me know when your download is done.
Thanks,
Gilles
-
Senior Member
registered user
Dear Gilles,
thanks for the iso. I download it now and I will test it then.
Thanks again
Similar Threads
-
By hat_monkey in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-23-2007, 04:05 AM
-
By dv440 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-21-2005, 12:14 AM
-
By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-09-2005, 08:40 AM
-
By sharlila in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 08-21-2004, 02:56 PM
-
By Linuxshark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99