Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cant get Knoppix to reconize built in ethernet card...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5

    Cant get Knoppix to reconize built in ethernet card...

    Hey, I know there are other topics like this already on this forum, but they don't really give any answers for my problem since im using a different setup.

    Im running Knoppix from the CD and when I try to go my my network card configuration it just says "no cards detected" (or something to that extent)
    Now, im a total Linux n00b so i dont know what to do. I tried to apply what was said in the other posts to my problem but iit didn't work.

    I tried to look on Intels site for Linux drivers for my adapter but couldn't find any....

    by the way, my Motherboard is the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, it has some built in Intel gigabit LAN (which works fine with WinXP). Linux reconizes it as
    "Intell 1019 unknown" under Ethernet when I type
    Code:
    lspci
    in the Konsole.

    also, Asus describes the LAN on their website as "Intel CSA 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"

    please remember I know almost NOTHING about Linux/Knoppix

    Thanks for any help you can give me...

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9
    You may try to load manually the module e1000 :

    Open a terminal

    Type "su" without quotes then press Enter

    Type "modprobe e1000" without quotes then press Enter.

    Type "lsmod" to verify if the module is correctly loaded. If you see under Module "e1000" and under Used "1" it would be OK.
    (You may also click on K, choose System, choose Information Center, choose Network, if you see the line eth0 ...... il would be OK.

    Hope this helps (I'am a newbie too but happy to help)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5

    Downloaded some drivers...

    ok, well, I downloaded some drivers from Asus site for my motherboard , that are supposed to be for my ethernet adapter and work for Linux, but I have no idea how to install them....any help?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9
    I do think what you downloaded from the Asus site is already integrated in Knoppix 3.4. The two modules (drivers if you like) are e100.o and e1000.o that could be used for your NIC. So I would suggest you first try what I've said :

    Open a terminal
    Type "su" without quotes - press Enter
    Type "modprobe e1000" without quotes - press Enter
    Run netcardconfig

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5
    Ok, im running Knoppix STD 2.4 and when I type "su" into the Konsole (is that the same thing as the Terminal?) I get a "password:" prompt.

    When I type modprobe e1000 it just says some directory and stuff like "failed" "cannot creat module" or something

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9
    I'm sorry because I thought you're running Knoppix 3.4. You may give it a try because it has the modules e100/e1000 that could support your NIC.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5
    Allright, ill give knoppix 3.4 a try, thanks

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5
    ok, I cant get Knoppix 3.4 to boot now, it gets to the part where it says checking CD ROM /dev/scd0 and then just stays there..., lol all I want is Linux running with an internet connection.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9
    I think there may be problem with your Knoppix CD.

    Have you verified the MD5 Checksum of your ISO ? To do it, you can use Toast442 under Windows that you can doawload here http://www.toast442.org/gl/public_ht...20828141406760

    Try to burn your CD at lower speed : 4x or 8x

    Then on boot, verify the integrity of your CD with the cheatcode "knoppix testcd" without quotes.

    Hope this helps

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix won't detect my ethernet card
    By arcticice in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 07:24 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 03:36 AM
  3. Could not detect built in LAN Card
    By koselan in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 01:31 PM
  4. Built in AGP but want to run off of PCI card
    By jclochesy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 06:10 PM
  5. ASUS A7N266-VM not recognised network card (built in) lspci
    By tiddler in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 11:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75