Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Poor Man's Install to one NTFS partition; can it be done?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92

    Poor Man's Install to one NTFS partition; can it be done?

    Hi all,

    I have been searching these formus (fora?) and the Knoppix wiki for a while now. I have found several different discussions regarding "Poor man's install". There are various theories on running Knoppix from one single HD partition, and I have managed to get it done myself ... from a FAT partition. My question is: can it be done from one single NTFS parition?

    I know the answer must be someone around here ... perhaps I am just looking in the wrong place, perhaps this simply cannot be done. Can some kind sould give me a gentle shove in the right direction.

    Thanx for looking.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Poor Man's Install to one NTFS partition; can it be done

    Quote Originally Posted by SiKing
    Hi all,
    I have been searching these formus (fora?) and the Knoppix wiki for a while now. I have found several different discussions regarding "Poor man's install". There are various theories on running Knoppix from one single HD partition, and I have managed to get it done myself ... from a FAT partition. My question is: can it be done from one single NTFS parition?
    I know the answer must be someone around here ... perhaps I am just looking in the wrong place, perhaps this simply cannot be done. Can some kind sould give me a gentle shove in the right direction.
    Thanx for looking.
    Yes I have done it and I use it evey day.
    The trick is to use a special port of grub: grldr which is started from the Windows boot loader (ntldr) via an extra line in the boot.ini
    and a new boot ramdisk: minirt_usb2.gz which includes and loads the ntfs linux kernel module
    and also includes a patched linuxrc boot script to allow knoppix to boot from the iso cd image located in the ntfs partition.
    Please have a look in here to find all the details about it:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=97923#97923
    The minirt_usb2.gz boot ramdisk will also allow you to boot Knoppix from a ISO file located on fat12/16/32, ext2/3 or reiser partition.
    Moreover, it will allow you to change the hostname of the machine with a fixed or dynamic name (network_hw_address or time)
    and has a bug fix for using the USB2.0 kernel module on USB2.0 hardware (instead of always using the slow USB1 kernel module).
    Cheers,
    Gilles

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    Thanx for the link and advice. However, I think I am still doing something wrong.

    I got all the "preliminaries" done: grldr, installed grub in c:\boot\grub (or /dev/hda1/boot/grub, which is NTFS), got the KNOPPIX image and linux kernel in c:\boot\KNOPPIX along with your initrd file.
    After booting Knoppix, I get up to
    Code:
    RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
    RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 32768) 4194304
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,3)
    So what now?

    Very much appreciate your time and patience, SiKing.

Similar Threads

  1. Writing on Poor Man's Fat32 Partition
    By Claus33 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 10:36 PM
  2. Poor Man's Install
    By anksingh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 04:56 AM
  3. Poor Man's DVD Install
    By xfiles in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 06:20 AM
  4. USB Thumbdrive/keychain NTFS ISO boot/Poor Man's Install
    By semreh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 10:07 AM
  5. Failed poor man's install with w32grub on NTFS
    By baldyeti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-14-2003, 06:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98