-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Firewalls
--It is still useful to have a firewall (software or hardware) especially if you have other machines connected to your network that can access the Internet. If you are still using a regular old hub, STOP - and buy a switch. 5-ports can be had for ~$25 US, and 8-ports ~$30-35. Switches also increase network thruput by enabling full-duplex.
--If by some strange chance you are using XP to connect to the Internet and have ICS (inet conn sharing) enabled, your Knoppix box should obtain its IP addr from XP and you can go from there.
--Software firewall for Windoze: http://www.zonealarm.com - it's a free download.

Originally Posted by
valisk
I'm new to Linux,I've found Knoppix the best way to try out the OS,but I have a question,when I boot from CD-ROM,and use the the CD to run a vitual drive in RAM,do I still need a firewall?If I do how do I install one on to a Win XP based PC?
Cheers,
Drew
Similar Threads
-
By gadgerama in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-31-2005, 01:31 AM
-
By piranha in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-02-2004, 02:31 PM
-
By Nthline in forum The Lounge
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER
$39.99

Cordless Vacuum Cleaner for 20V Battery, 7-in-1 Lightweight Stick Vacu...
$149.15

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67