Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Firewalls

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3

    Firewalls

    I'm new to Linux,I've found Knoppix the best way to try out the OS,but I have a question,when I boot from CD-ROM,and use the the CD to run a vitual drive in RAM,do I still need a firewall?If I do how do I install one on to a Win XP based PC?
    Cheers,
    Drew

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Short answer no you are booting from a CD. If you want to check for certain try GRC and choose probe my ports.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Firewalls

    --It is still useful to have a firewall (software or hardware) especially if you have other machines connected to your network that can access the Internet. If you are still using a regular old hub, STOP - and buy a switch. 5-ports can be had for ~$25 US, and 8-ports ~$30-35. Switches also increase network thruput by enabling full-duplex.

    --If by some strange chance you are using XP to connect to the Internet and have ICS (inet conn sharing) enabled, your Knoppix box should obtain its IP addr from XP and you can go from there.

    --Software firewall for Windoze: http://www.zonealarm.com - it's a free download.

    Quote Originally Posted by valisk
    I'm new to Linux,I've found Knoppix the best way to try out the OS,but I have a question,when I boot from CD-ROM,and use the the CD to run a vitual drive in RAM,do I still need a firewall?If I do how do I install one on to a Win XP based PC?
    Cheers,
    Drew

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the shift replies.
    Drew
    PS
    I do use Zonealarm with XP.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix and Firewalls
    By gadgerama in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 01:31 AM
  2. proxy servers and firewalls
    By piranha in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 02:31 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 06:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$89.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99