Hm, nobody here who can help me out?
Hello, I am no linux professional, just experimenting a bit with knoppix, pxe booting and windows xp unattended installation.
I would like to boot knoppix to prepare harddisks for unattended installations of windows xp. Since kernel 2.6x uses another disk drive geometry as the BIOS (e.g. while formatting a partition with FAT32 filesystem) the partition is not really bootable after the second restart during the windows setup (message: "NTLDR not found"). I used the ms-sys tool to create compatible mbr and partition boot sectors. Using kernel 2.4x instead works great since 2.4x and 2.5x kernels use the same hard disk geometry as the BIOS.
Now I read about the EDD module (Enhanced Disk Drive Services) by Matt Domsch which can be used to read out the correct disk drive geometry. My problem is the integration of the EDD module into the current knoppix 2.6.12 kernel. After compilation of the module I always get an error "Unknown symbol" when trying to load it with modprobe or insmod.
Anyone has an idea?
I would suggest to integrate a compiled version of the EDD module into the next knoppix release (e.g. like Debian Sarge).
#modinfo edd
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.12/kernel/drivers/firmware/edd.ko
author: Matt Domsch <[email protected]>
description: sysfs interface to BIOS EDD information
license: GPL
version: 0.16
vermagic: 2.6.12 SMP preempt 386 gcc-3.3
depends:
srcversion: 0874611504BA6FDDC89AD2F
#modprobe edd
FATAL: Error inserting edd (/lib/modules/2.6.12/kernel/drivers/firmware/edd.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
#dmesg
edd: Unknown symbol edd
Hm, nobody here who can help me out?

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00