Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: V4 and /grub/boot/menu.lst

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    41

    V4 and /grub/boot/menu.lst

    When I use Knoppix V4 to edit file , I received this message :

    You do not have enough permission to read file://mnt/hdb4/boot/grub/menu.lst

    How can I get root previlidge to modify the file ?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    41
    Any idea or help ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Two ways:
    1.) First become root. use the command: su -
    Then change the root password: passwd
    Enter the new password twice, then exit: exit
    now use KDEsu to run a editor as root: kdesu kate /mnt/hdb4/boot/grub/menu.lst

    2.) Or use sudo: sudo kate /mnt/hdb4/boot/grub/menu.lst

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    41
    Thanks for that ....I am going to try it and let you know.

    Why can't I use :

    gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Oh its also possible that the /mnt/hd4 is mounted read-only. So that too might prevent you from changing (writing) to a file.
    Why can't I use: gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    That file is quite important & special to the system. It probably has permissions & owership to prevent non-priviledged users (non-root users) from making changes to it. Do a:
    ls -l /boot/grub/menu.lst
    and it will probably look something like:
    Code:
    -rw-------  1 root root 775 Aug 11  2004 menu.lst

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    41
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ su
    root@0[knoppix]# passwd
    Enter new UNIX password:
    Retype new UNIX password:
    passwd: password updated successfully
    root@0[knoppix]#
    root@0[knoppix]#
    root@0[knoppix]# kdesu kate /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst
    mkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
    DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
    ICE Connection rejected!

    DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
    DCOPServer self-test failed.
    kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
    kate: ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Can't setup DCOP communication.
    root@0[knoppix]# ICE Connection rejected!


    root@0[knoppix]#
    root@0[knoppix]# sudo kate /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst
    mkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
    DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
    ICE Connection rejected!

    DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
    DCOPServer self-test failed.
    kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
    kate: ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Can't setup DCOP communication.
    root@0[knoppix]# ICE Connection rejected!

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    41
    Then I found option called "root shell",,,I opened that one and I typed in:

    vim /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did work,,,

    nedit /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did work as well.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    41
    vim /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did work,,,

    nedit /mnt/hdb6/boot/grub/menu.lst,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did work as well.
    Yes I can read it,,,but today I realized that I can not modify it,,,,what should I do to overcome this issue ?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    things to check:
    do you have permissions to write it? Are you root user? And if you are not root user, then either become root user or use sudo.
    Next, is /mnt/hdb6 mounted read only? If so, then even root user can not write to it? Remount it as writeable

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    41
    Are you root user? And if you are not root user, then either become root user or use sudo.
    Yes I am root user.

    Next, is /mnt/hdb6 mounted read only? Remount it as writeable
    Could you please explain ,what should I do to check and how can I mount it again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how to edit&save menu.lst (grub)??
    By jv_guano in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 06:17 AM
  2. no /boot/grub/menu.lst
    By tjapko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 09:05 PM
  3. booting with add to grub/menu.lst
    By srbanator in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 07:53 AM
  4. Where is /boot/grub/menu.lst in knoppix 3.7
    By dimpflmoser in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 04:22 AM
  5. Grub loads, but doesn't display menu.
    By rbivins in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive picture

Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive

$109.99



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500 GB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500 GB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



Western Digital WD Black 500GB WD5000LPLX 7200RPM 2.5” SATA HDD Lot of 4 Tested picture

Western Digital WD Black 500GB WD5000LPLX 7200RPM 2.5” SATA HDD Lot of 4 Tested

$64.00



Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD

$199.00