Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Settings/Bookmark retention

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2

    Settings/Bookmark retention

    Seems to me settings arn't retained between boots. Example: Firefox- homepage, bookmarks, etc. I have the Tohd/fromhd option in use. Would be nice if all settings could be retained. I use DSL but I imagine dialup settings won't be retained either????

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2
    I found that if I place a file "index.html" in the next directory before "/Knoppix" dir that the "tohd" command installed, it loads in the browser. I placed my bookmarks in this page. You can use the first button on the second tool bar to load this as home page.

    I found the save config program, "Knoppix.sh",but it seems to only save limited settings. I did the load Config at boot:.

    Anyone have any Idea how to retain and save and make all settings Knoppix and programs saved and reloaded with the load up with "fromhd". Settings seem to go into RAM drive and are lost at shutdown.

    I know one might say do a full install, but that defeats the reason I'm using Knoppix. I want the free CD and Harddrive speed and the likely hood that virus and spyware aren't likely to be installed on an image and if the image is damaged another "tohd" and I'm right back with a virgin copy.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Here is what I do (with knoppix 4.0.2 and unionfs) to preserve my firefox bookmarks between sessions on my live cd workstation. I keep a copy on a hard drive partition (but could be a thumbdrive, floppy, etc.), delete the index.html that comes with knoppix, and create a logical link to my bookmarks:

    rm -rf /home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/3d4ef4xp.default/bookmarks.html
    ln -s "/mnt/hdb1/My Documents/bookmarks20051024.html" /home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/3d4ef4xp.default/bookmarks.html

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    64
    I have all my bookmarks & settings saved -
    you just click the penguin, configure,
    Create a persistent Knoppix disk image.
    If you plan to install clamav, you will need at least 300M;
    600M is better if you have the disk space.
    (If you defrag first it's faster; backup before defrag just to be sure)

    BUT the real frustration is when booting - one MUST answer the prompt
    to allow overwrite - easy - then NOT hit enter - HARD -
    but Left Arrow to OK, THEN enter - within 20 seconds -
    or the saved bookmarks,etc. are NOT loaded.
    When this little UI gotcha is fixed, it will be fine.
    When you pick overwrite, it should DEFAULT to OK, NOT CANCEL!
    (please please PLEASE kind developers fix this!)

    Remember tho that the Root superuser has its own bookmarks -
    I exported the Knoppix bookmarks & imported as Root, but it's a hassle.
    (Someone please make a real database plugin for bookmarks)

Similar Threads

  1. usb bookmark with iceweasel?
    By ihawk60 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 02:43 PM
  2. saving settings
    By ozgurgerilla in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 11:00 AM
  3. Mozilla Bookmark
    By Wumpus in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 06:33 AM
  4. saving settings
    By ankit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 03:23 AM
  5. How to keep your settings?
    By SenateDC in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO-  32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard picture

CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard

$370.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99