Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: HELP: wired yes, wireless no

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5

    HELP: wired yes, wireless no

    hi im using knoppix 4.0.2 on a dell inspiron 9300..
    well i started up knoppix and no go on wireless internet.. tried wlcardconfig put in LodeStarAir (name of wlan) as the essid and my password when it says encryption key and the rest blank. after that i did a pump -i eth0 and it said operation failed.
    booted up with network cable plugged in and internet worked fine. a pump now works on eth1 but not eth0

    wired is eth1 wireless is eth0

    Intel 2200 802.11 b/g wireless card

    wireless works fine on windows

    kwifimanager was scanning the networks so the card is detected and everything.
    is there any way to JUST SELECT what wireless network you want? you can see them all but cant connect like in windows and mac!
    i was surprised windows tops knoppix at this point...


    any help would be great!
    thanks alot

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8
    Have you tried using iwconfig to configure your wireless NIC? If not, then try this: iwconfig eth0 essid 'LodeStarAir'.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    alright i think ive isolated the problem... i dont know how to use iwconfig.
    if you look at the man page the "key" part of it says you have to do values such as "restricted" or "open"
    and something about hex codes... so im wondering where does the actual password go? do i have to have an all number password to make it a hex code?
    please just explain to me the "key/enc[ryption]" section of the iwconfig man page.

    im sure the wireless and internet are all in good order.



    THANKS VERY MUCH!!
    troy

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8
    Assuming that you're encrypting your traffic, you're going to want to do something like this:
    iwconfig eth0 key restricted YOUR_KEY.
    Afterwards, it should prompt you for a password if necessary.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    so then is there a difference between an encryption key and a password?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2
    Does your Access Point want a WEP or WPA key? I was under the impression kwifimanager only support configuring WEP keys. There doesn't seem to be a gui with any distro for configuring wireless with WPA rather than WEP. I have got WPA based encryption working under Gentoo linux but you don't really want to go there as it is totally manual install and configure (no guis). I can't really give much assistance here based on the knowledge I have gained from Gentoo because different linux distros configure the structure of their /etc differently.

    If I work it out for Knoppix I will post back here. Can you also do likewise so we can help each other out.

    In answer to your previous post the correct term is a key not a password.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    hey i use gentoo myself... i do know a good bit of linux so a gui-less setup is okay...
    i think all i need is to find out how to use iwconfig... can it work with wpa?
    the key section in the man page is a little hard to understand.
    i do have a wpa personal encrypted wireless network.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1
    I as well am having problems figuring out how to log in using WPA encryption and can not seem to find any articles on the KNOPPIX DVD explaining how to do so. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Really do not want to have to downgrade to WEP encryption.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4
    I'm having a very similar problem, I think.

    I tried some of the suggestions in this thread, and the ones above, and none of it seems to work.

    What does work?

    Using KWiFiManager, I have a full green bar, and it's telling me I've got an active connection. It properly lists the router's SSID and its MAC address, so I know that there is some communication going on between the machine and the wireless card. The lights are on, and certain functions make them go blinky. I just can't get an IP address.

    However, when I go to ifconfig, it does not list eth0, which is my wireless card. Using ifup/ifdown eth0 results in my being told that interface eth0 not configured. Now, iwconfig knows about it. Lists everything. Puts odd dashes into my encryption key (because I am using WEP).

    Any suggestions? The laptop's a bit of a pain, and nothing ever works the first time. I'm just knowledgeable enough to get myself in trouble.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    67

    Dell 9300

    Hi Guys,

    Exact same problem here! NIC works fine but no wireless. I'm using Kanotix 2005-04.
    WPA support is in /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant, but I haven't tried it yet. I just
    want to connect to an open AP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 6.3 Live CD Wired Connection
    By jaques1 in forum Networking
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 11:23 PM
  2. Dual NICs (wired)
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 06:43 PM
  3. wired networking issue in Knoppix 5.2
    By Draque in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 10:59 PM
  4. wired nic's, on CD, where's the net ?
    By honegod in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 02:50 PM
  5. wlan only works when wired lan is connected.
    By erktrek in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 06:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99