Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How Do I recompile the 2.6.9 kernel in Knoppix 3.7

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    How Do I recompile the 2.6.9 kernel in Knoppix 3.7

    I need to recompile the 2.6.9 kernel in my HDD install of Knoppix 3.7

    Specifically, I need the ub.ko module removed, deactivated, GONE!

    It trashes usb-storage. I need this activated in the 2.6.9 kernel.

    (This is a long discussed issue of the Knoppix Live CD and a key reason why it is a bad idea to install it to the HDD. Anyway, I already did a year ago. )

    This is what I need to do according to one source:

    "Therefore people wanting to use usb storage have to recompile the kernel with CONFIG_UB=n.

    Additional Information: ub may be an important step forward but until it fully supports the devices it disables from usb_storage, my vote is just to set CONFIG_UB to n.

    An alternative is to do two builds, one with ub=n to make the fully-functional usb_storage.ko and then with ub=m to give the new module as well."

    So, how do I do this?

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Solved

    Ok, it was actually very easy to turn this off. No recompiling necessary. I merely commented out the ub entry in

    /lib/modules/2.6.9/modules.usbmap

    It's the very last entry in that file.

    Now, the offending ub modue is not loaded and usb-storage stays intact, allowing me to turn my usb camera on and see it show up as a drive.

    I hope this is useful to others who may have been having problems with the infamous ub.ko module.


    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. Remastering --- how to recompile kernel ?
    By chris-ukl in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 11:04 AM
  2. knoppix 3.4 5/17/2004 kernel recompile error
    By samwhich in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 06:12 PM
  3. I can't recompile kernel 2.4.22-xfs
    By tmp001 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 11:48 AM
  4. recompile kernel
    By BoopaMagal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 12:03 PM
  5. How to recompile Knoppix 3.2 kernel for MPPE support
    By Vermyndax in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC picture

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC

$73.00